Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Neyasha's Mapvember 2021

I like of all your drawing, but like more the castle at the top of the cliff and the hobbit scene, is great.

Great work so far! And some brilliant ideas, considering the word list.
    I love the Lock castle in particular.

Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you like my maps!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great work so far! And some brilliant ideas, considering the word list.
    Thanks, Ilanthar! The word list is quite difficult in my opinion. I was really happy, when I finally had ideas (and to be honest I'm quite proud of some of the ideas), but I'm still struggling with some of words. "Drone", "machine" and "pod" for example.
    So if anyone has suggestions for these, I would be very thankful. I was thinking of ignoring some of the prompts, but now I'm getting ambitious and would love to stick to the list.

Yesterday I was too lazy to scan the map. I draw a plan of Cannon Hill Park in Birmingham for the prompt "cannon". Initially I wanted to try a kinda comic style and colour it with gouache, but it was too small for that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapvember2021_09cannon.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	307.3 KB 
ID:	131835

And today I did a little floor plan for the prompt "library". Alturene is a town in my fantasy world and well known for its library.

Name:	mapvember2021_10library.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	131836

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    Yes, Mapvember is more time-consuming than NaNo, but nonetheless I'm not as stressed. I love the relaxing feeling that it's no big deal if I mess up a map - it will be a brand new start the next day. With NaNo I sometimes managed to write myself into a corner and found it very hard to find a solution so quickly. But then I'm not good at planning a whole novel ahead and being a discovery writer isn't the best for NaNo.

Today's prompt is "barrels" and I decided to go with a scene from "The Hobbit":

Out they went under the overhanging branches of the trees on either bank. Bilbo wondered what the dwarves were feeling and whether a lot of water was getting into their tubs. Some of those that bobbed along by him in the gloom seemed pretty low in the water, and he guessed that these had dwarves inside. "I do hope I put the lids on tight enough!" he thought, but before long he was worrying too much about himself to remember the dwarves.

Attachment 131801

This map is done in ink and watercolour and I think it's my personal favourite so far. I still don't really know how to control watercolours and the sketch paper doesn't take them well, but there is something about working with them I just love.

Today I found out that my business trip this week is cancelled due to Covid. The situation in Austria right now is very alarming (here we go again ....), but at least I'll have more time for Mapvember now.
    I love the grey scale and the forms of your cliffs and trees. What did you use for the grey colour? I use india ink. Overall, it's a lovely composition ready for an encounter of any sort.

I'm looking forward to your future entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiAeon View Post
    I love the grey scale and the forms of your cliffs and trees. What did you use for the grey colour? I use india ink. Overall, it's a lovely composition ready for an encounter of any sort.
    Thanks, KaiAeon! I used watercolour (Payne's grey), but I wanna try ink the next time.

Today the prompt is "laboratory". As I'm not the biggest fan of doing floor plans, I had a hard time with this, but in the end I decided to draw the research stations of Dharma Initiative from the TV series "Lost". I guess this would have been easier and a lot more precise/clean if I'd done it digitally, but at this point I'm getting a bit stubborn and really wanna do the whole mapvember in my sketch book.

Name:	mapvember2021_11laboratory.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	131848
    Last edited by Neyasha; 11-11-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Thank god it's friday. I'm getting a bit tired of drawing maps now to be honest and it's quite difficult doing it in the evenings after work.

Speaking of getting tired: Today's prompt is "slumber".
    After a devastating eruption nearly 50 years ago the Heirak volcano is inactive now. Or is it just a brief slumber?

Name:	mapvember2021_12slumber.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	131855

Today's prompt is "barrels" and I decided to go with a scene from "The Hobbit":

Attachment 131801

This map is done in ink and watercolour and I think it's my personal favourite so far. ...
    My favourite too - absolutely like the style.

Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you like my maps!

Thanks, Ilanthar! The word list is quite difficult in my opinion. I was really happy, when I finally had ideas (and to be honest I'm quite proud of some of the ideas), but I'm still struggling with some of words. "Drone", "machine" and "pod" for example.
    So if anyone has suggestions for these, I would be very thankful. I was thinking of ignoring some of the prompts, but now I'm getting ambitious and would love to stick to the list.
    "Drone" could be a bay in a ship or base from which remotely-piloted vehicles are launched. "Machine" could be anything from a mill to an ultramodern factory. Or a house for a sapient robot. "Pod" could be a futuristic medical facility with healing pods, a spaceship with hibernation pods for long voyages, or a patch of garden growing peas.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, rdanhenry! My problem is that I don't dare to draw science-fiction/futuristic maps. But perhaps I should use Mapvember as a push to leave my comfort zone.

Thankfully for most of these words I still have a few days to think of ideas. In the meantime here is the map of today for the prompt "cage". The layout of the map is a bit random/chaotic, but I had fun drawing it.

Name:	mapvember2021_13cage.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	131864

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast