Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frigid Planes WIP

Guild Novice

The chasm is neat because it looks bottomless at first glance; enough to almost to engage one's fear of heights!

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by jambalayafore View Post
    The chasm is neat because it looks bottomless at first glance; enough to almost to engage one's fear of heights!
    I would have do it much smaller if i knew how much work it will take to draw details.

Guild Member

Love this so much, it's telling a great story that I want to know more of.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by MatteBlack View Post
    Love this so much, it's telling a great story that I want to know more of.
    Thank you. I will add the backstory when its finished. Here is the latest wip. I am going to resign the factories and add some belts also more forests. But almost all of the flats are done.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frigidPlanes2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	131925

Guild Member

Here is the finished map. I may add some labels in the future and tidy up some of the coloring and shading but I am calling it done for now. Hope you will like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frigidPlanes3.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	131940
    Last edited by limon; 11-26-2021 at 04:13 PM.

It's so incredibly clean and charming. You should be very proud of this one, it has a lot of character!

IR

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    It's so incredibly clean and charming. You should be very proud of this one, it has a lot of character!

IR
    Thank you. I am proud but there are a lot that I can improve on.

I love this! Especially your linework and perspective in the town itself. I am amazed how you managed to get all the angles of the houses. And the broken bridge. Great work!

If you come back to this map you might want to take a look at the shading of the stone pillars. Right now light seems to come from two directions at once creating a cast shadow on the left and a core shadow on the right of the pillar.

But that is just me nitpicking, the map is a great one.

Guild Novice

Even though the town is off to one side, the picture is still balanced, as if waiting for something to appear in the lower right quadrant

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door View Post
    I love this! Especially your linework and perspective in the town itself. I am amazed how you managed to get all the angles of the houses. And the broken bridge. Great work!

If you come back to this map you might want to take a look at the shading of the stone pillars. Right now light seems to come from two directions at once creating a cast shadow on the left and a core shadow on the right of the pillar.

But that is just me nitpicking, the map is a great one.
    Thank you. About the stone pillars, I wanted to add a snow texture on the outer-sides of the canyon to show how canyon is warmer than the open fields but kind of failed it. Maybe I need more defined shadows to overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by jambalayafore View Post
    Even though the town is off to one side, the picture is still balanced, as if waiting for something to appear in the lower right quadrant
    Thanks a lot. When I first started drawing town was on the middle but I moved it to the side. It is a very common technique in photograhpy and design, rule of two thirds. Its a easy and very effective way of creating focal points in your art.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12