Thread: The continents of Elleinad

Map The continents of Elleinad

Hi Folks,

Today, I'm sharing not one map but seven ! I was commissioned back un February by a DM who wanted his world brought ot life. He needed seven continents spread over six maps (three A3 sized and three A4). So, I went at it. Had I had to draw the whole world at once, I'm pretty sure I'd had despaired and got a mapmaker's block but the divided task allowed for a good pace. I had to stop at times due to urgent commissions and the need to draw something else (still maps though) but all in all, I delivered not too much later than was planned.

The client had a rough idea of what he wanted and gave few informations besides basic continent shapes, basic layout for the world map (the seventh map) and rough biome ideas that we edited together.

It was fun to work on such a long project and it was tough keeping everything consistent but it was educative. The last map, Lasarev was drawn using Procreate and an ipad while the others were drawn wiith Photoshop and my trusted Wacom intuos M (it's a workhorse !) and I hope it did not induce inconsistencies.

Finally, the client wanted torn and worn parchments so, I was really happy to oblige

With no further ado, here are the maps :

The world (125 x 62,5 cm) : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Total.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	5.41 MB 
ID:	131781

The A3 continents : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K'caj Final post.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	131782----Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rel Final post.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	131783----Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noom Xalenfell final post.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	131784

And the A4 continents : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reywas Final Post.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	693.3 KB 
ID:	131785----Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrin final islands post.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	777.3 KB 
ID:	131786----Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lasarev final.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	793.3 KB 
ID:	131787

© Thomas REY - 2021 - all rights reserved for all maps

I hope you like them and I'd love to hear your thoughts

Cheers !

Thomas

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Man there are so many cool elements on this/these map/maps! Glaciers as always, the mesas, but electric tornados?!?! This monster is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Man there are so many cool elements on this/these map/maps! Glaciers as always, the mesas, but electric tornados?!?! This monster is amazing!
    Thanks Arimel I did try to put some magical features for the GM to use or ditch (some maps have several version with or without those exotic features).

Amazing maps! An the last one looks just as wonderful as the others. Did you like working with Procreate and why did you switch, if I may ask?

I really appreciate the use of subtle shadows on the Terrin map! Bravo!
    Hinterland Mapview

Follow me on Twitter: @SonOfJoxer

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    Amazing maps! An the last one looks just as wonderful as the others. Did you like working with Procreate and why did you switch, if I may ask?
    Thanks a lot Neyasha Yeah, working with procreate is a nice experience. It lacks a lot of stuff for my workflow but it is intuitive and allows me to work way faster than I used too. The reason I switched is because I wanted to work with a display tablet. I hesitated with a cintiq but went for an ipad because I can work out of the office with the ipad alone while the cintiq needs a computer. I thoughtI could use photoshop on the ipad but it is really crappy so I went for procreate instead. Did not like it at first but you quickly get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoneTheWiser View Post
    I really appreciate the use of subtle shadows on the Terrin map! Bravo!
    Thanks a lot NoneTheWiser I just realized you are Son of Joxer

Great and massive work ! As I love the colours and the contrasts of the world map (must look really good on a print), I also like a lot the legibility and efficiency of the regional ones. Very complementary somehow.
    And that fox is a treat .

Wow! HUGE! looks great .... no wonder it took a while.. imagine blowing the world map up double size and printing it out at 2.5m long?!
    and well done on keeping the style constant. that is so hard at times. I am working on a huge city map at the moment and have been for over a year inbetween other stuff... and every session I have to spend a bit of time going back over what I have done so that I keep the style and building sizes as constant as possible. ... its not easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great and massive work ! As I love the colours and the contrasts of the world map (must look really good on a print), I also like a lot the legibility and efficiency of the regional ones. Very complementary somehow.
    And that fox is a treat .
    Merci beaucoup Julien The maps were made for a sepia background so, they had to be contrasted enough (highlights help a lot) and going full color for the ocean on the big map enhances that feeling. Yeah the fox was fun

Quote Originally Posted by Misjay Maps View Post
    Wow! HUGE! looks great .... no wonder it took a while.. imagine blowing the world map up double size and printing it out at 2.5m long?!
    and well done on keeping the style constant. that is so hard at times. I am working on a huge city map at the moment and have been for over a year inbetween other stuff... and every session I have to spend a bit of time going back over what I have done so that I keep the style and building sizes as constant as possible. ... its not easy!
    Thanks Misjay yeah, it is large and will perfectly hold on a double size print (all my maps do as, being a bona fide masoch… mapmaker !, I gauge my eyes working at 400% zoom when drawing a map) and I think thar’s what the client plans to do (125x250 cm), something I’m looking forward to see Consistency is a challenge on big maps, especially if you draw it over a long period of time. I kept notes of every setting for the layer opacities and such, had a palette psd file and another psd with the effects such as drop shadow settings and such. Not comfortable but necessary.