Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climatic Generation tool

Default Climatic Generation tool

Hello , I have a question , so far I am doing all of the climates form my worlds by hand, based on guesses and informations I get from other maps I do before like currents, winds, orography etc ... but I always feel its not "perfect" , I am wondering if there are any valid tools out there that can automate more the process and make it a little bit more consistant and precise?

If you find any, please let us know!. Most of the tools that I have seen out there are overly simplistic in their results, overly complex to operate, or take impossibly long to operate. Of course, it's been a long time since I did a survey and things may have become much better in the last decade or so.

I've seen a couple of people using clima-sim but never tried it myself: http://www.weathergraphics.com/climasim/

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    I've seen a couple of people using clima-sim but never tried it myself: http://www.weathergraphics.com/climasim/
    Ihaven't got Clima sim couse if I am not wrong it onlyallows u to draw some continent shapes and doesn't take into account rainshadows from mountain ranges or other orographic characteristics, I may be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    If you find any, please let us know!. Most of the tools that I have seen out there are overly simplistic in their results, overly complex to operate, or take impossibly long to operate. Of course, it's been a long time since I did a survey and things may have become much better in the last decade or so.
    Found what seems to be a good one ...

What you think?

https://space.geometrian.com/calcs/climate-sim.php

but as also doesn't seem to take into consideration a series of factors like pressure zones, itcz, rainshadows and biomes are limited and I am not convinced by the winds ... but may be could be a good step from which to start ?
    Last edited by Naima; 11-08-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Found what seems to be a good one ...

What you think?

https://space.geometrian.com/calcs/climate-sim.php

but as also doesn't seem to take into consideration a series of factors like pressure zones, itcz, rainshadows and biomes are limited ... but may be could be a good step from which to start ?
    That's pretty cool, but judging by the Earth climate it generates there, you'd have to use it only as a jumping off point.

Somebody ought to make a list of desired features (or at least, desired inputs and outputs) for a climate model.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Somebody ought to make a list of desired features (or at least, desired inputs and outputs) for a climate model.
    I can make one , u are interested in programming a tool ?

I don't know that I personally will have time to look at the problem again any time soon, but having a list of desires available might stimulate interest on the part of other folks.

This is something I've actually been working on since 2019, in bits and spurts. The hardest part for me has been - and the stage that I've been stuck on - is how to generate currents. Most of the approaches I've tried are generalized and simplified (I'm not looking to make the tool overly robust in this particular area) but it seems I always run into exceptions that prevent my solutions from working. For example, I don't have any trouble placing the equatorial currents and "tracing" generally where the split currents go once the equatorials reach the coast, but in the instance of the current that travels south on the eastern coast of South America, I don't know how to make it split to both continue on eastward (towards Australia) and veer northward toward the western coast of Africa.

Naima, waldronate, Azelor, and Charerg: If any of you (or anyone, really) would have suggestions for a generalized approach to place currents, I would very much appreciate any input.

I have most things figured out well enough that if I can get this part of my tool implemented, I should be able to move quickly through the rest. Ultimately, I'd like the tool (which is currently nameless) to be able to take a very limited set of inputs from the user (including a monochrome land and ocean map) and return a map that is marked with climates, similar to the end results in Azelor's Köppen–Geiger thread.

This is something that's been rolling around in my head for such a long time I'd love to make a breakthrough on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast