Thread: Dhalia

Default Dhalia

It has, once again, been a while since I've shared any finished maps.

This was an interesting one: I was commissioned to remake a map originally created by our very own Max Plasse. His work was a huge inspiration to me back when I was starting my own mapping journey, which was right around the time when this map was originally made. I remember seeing this back when I first joined the Guild in 2014, and at the time I certainly didn't think I'd end up so caught up in the art of cartography - let alone to do commission work!

The request was to both recreate the original map with some minor edits, as well as to add quite a few more villages.

Here you'll find Max's original map, and here is my take on it in 2021. Hope you'll like it!
    And in case Max himself sees this - I hope I've done your work justice!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dhalia_fin_smaller.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	131872
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

It looks amazing! I love how it is ink drawn on parchment style. Limiting the use to a monochrome set of colours really works to makes it feel more worthy as a traveller’s map.

Oh this is stunning! I love it! Both the original and your remake are gorgeous.

Awesome map Kell ! Faithful to the original but your additions are immediately visible. I also love the stern look and the masterful ornaments like this wrought iron compass. Very well done !

It's gorgeous! The reference map is visible in some elements, but it's definitely your style that catch the eye (the colour palette, mountains & cities, notably).

This is lovely... from the paper texture n up - I find myself wanting to have a go at imitating the style as I am pretty rubbish at keeping a map monotone

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Such a lovely map... Your linework is super clean. (Teach me!) Hehe. Anyway. Awesome. Also, great font for well everything, but I do enjoy the one on the mountains the most. It works very well.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxeris View Post
    It looks amazing! I love how it is ink drawn on parchment style. Limiting the use to a monochrome set of colours really works to makes it feel more worthy as a traveller’s map.
    Thanks, glad you think so!

Quote Originally Posted by AP. View Post
    Oh this is stunning! I love it! Both the original and your remake are gorgeous.
    Thanks! Yeah, Max was pretty good back in the day and even better now. It's a shame we don't see his work around here anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Awesome map Kell ! Faithful to the original but your additions are immediately visible. I also love the stern look and the masterful ornaments like this wrought iron compass. Very well done !
    Thanks! I do quite like how the compass came out. Now if I could only remember how I did it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's gorgeous! The reference map is visible in some elements, but it's definitely your style that catch the eye (the colour palette, mountains & cities, notably).
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Misjay Maps View Post
    This is lovely... from the paper texture n up - I find myself wanting to have a go at imitating the style as I am pretty rubbish at keeping a map monotone
    Thanks! I think a large part of the monotone colours is that the texture needs to be pretty heavy, and often the more stained paper the better. I'd be curious to see you try!

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Such a lovely map... Your linework is super clean. (Teach me!) Hehe. Anyway. Awesome. Also, great font for well everything, but I do enjoy the one on the mountains the most. It works very well.
    Thank you! The font in use is IM Fell Types for everything other than the title, which is Indira K at the core (added all the flourish freehand). It's just such a great family for maps.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I could recognize your maps among hundreds.

As always, I love the warm an leathery texture.

The drawing itself is clear, well balanced, and works very well with your distinctively smooth style.

Lovely !
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance