Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southport

The lineart is solid, the layout clever and the lighting gorgeous ! This is such a great map and I love the fact that you kept texture minimal in the fields, it adds legibility to a complex map, clever thinking there again Well done Misjay !

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door View Post
    The linework is so good! The shading top notch. *hides this quick in my folder of amazing maps* I wandered these streets even without the explanation you gave. City maps seldom have the feel you've given to it. What font did you use for the labels in the lower right corner?

I'm just curious, why did you choose to make the city name transparent and overlaying the border and your signature? It feels a bit different than the rest of the map.
    thanks Dimension Door… I love ‘growing’ settlement maps that feel like places I want to wander through. I love the challenge of making every street and building unique enough to feel like they were built by real people over time. And like every building has a story and is worth visiting (rather than ‘just’ the ‘special’ locations)

the key font is ‘Antiquarian’ - (Jog Brogzin’s favourite font - which is who I discovered it from)

the title … as transparent. I don’t know. It felt right at the time. I tried it solid colour with an outline and it felt a bit too much somehow. Visually Overpowering
    … to be honest, it looked better as it is before I added the key!

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    This is beautiful, the depth from the cliffs is astonishing. Well done!

IR
    Glad the cliff depth shows up so well @Adfor …& thanks … playing with elevation changes in top-down maps is one of my favourite challenges :-)

Quote Originally Posted by edwardloveall View Post
    Wow this is really nice work! Love the texture on the rocks and the feel of the road going through town.
    @Edward .. the rocks were a new method experiment where I painted the cliff colour first and then added the ‘ink’ afterwards - it made it easier to draw them ‘naturally random’ and resist the temptation to fall into repeating patterns, while keeping an overall look/feel/texture/shape/thing … they turned out so much better than expected. I will have to try it again sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I really love the detail in this work. I am currently working on a town and this has given me a few ideas on things I missed!
    @Arimel :-). …. oooh … what ideas did you gain? I hope I manage to catch and see your map when it is done …

Quote Originally Posted by AP. View Post
    Oh I really love this! Beautifully done. I really want to explore Southport now!
    @AP yay… glad you find it explorable… have fun discovering/inventing people and plots (if that is what you plan!)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcolino View Post
    Holy pencil, this is incredible.
    @Marcolino :-)

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    Amazing map. This one is going in my inspiration folder.
    @wminish … hehe, I have one of those too! Love prowling through it every now and then to find inspiration for current maps. Though I think I need to go through and weed it. Or maybe make sub folders. It’s getting a bit unwieldy

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Oh, I love it! The muted colours and detailed linework look amazing. Off to my inspiration folder you go!
    @Kellerica … :-). Yay. The muted colours is are muted down from the very saturated original paint-over… I have not tried muted colour much, so was a bit unsure of how it would go, but with the paper frame and boarder it seemed the best fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    Such a beautiful map! I love the layout and the subtle colouring as well as the history behind the place.
    I definitely need to have a look at the WIP thread now.
    @Neyasha thank you … glad you like it… the WIP thread is a bit random as I kept forgetting I was doing one… and there is one post where the images seem to have not arrived that I need to try and edit … hope it was interesting …

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The lineart is solid, the layout clever and the lighting gorgeous ! This is such a great map and I love the fact that you kept texture minimal in the fields, it adds legibility to a complex map, clever thinking there again Well done Misjay !
    hehe… ummm… I don’t remember putting much thought to the fields texture… kind of went with what felt best… unconscious ignorantaction wins again!
    note to self - remember this for future maps ;-)
    thankyou, I appreciate the insight and feedback

Very good work on this map! The soft colors and the cliff layers look awesome. I really like this style.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine.L View Post
    Very good work on this map! The soft colors and the cliff layers look awesome. I really like this style.
    Thanks Antoine ... I don't usually go this de-saturated ... was a bit of an experiment that seems to have worked.

I really like this map, such an inspiration. The lineart is fantastic a well as the details. Great work!
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12