Thread: WIP Advice on landscape

Wip WIP Advice on landscape

So I'm in the very early stages of making a new map. My goal here is to create a Pangea like super continent in the late stages of breaking up. I've given some place holder names to the continents and sketched out the plate boundaries. What I'm trying to do now is get a basic idea of how the landscape might look.

From what I can tell the border in between Telath and Hakvab would have huge mountain ranges and be prone to earthquakes whereas Flanancar and Tasccar would have regular sized mountains and earthquakes. The ocean in between the three landmasses looks like it would have a boatload of islands and be prone to sending out tsnamis every now and then.

Am I on the right track? What else jumps out at you about this map? How do you think the plate tectonics would affect the landscape and do you have any recommendations for improvements I can make?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	early draft with names.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	914.5 KB 
ID:	131945

I think the biggest thing to aid in giving you good feedback would be scale; what is the size of the area we are looking at.

Additionally, when you say "late stages" of breaking up, what exactly do you mean? By many estimates, the current arrangement of continents is the end of Pangea breaking up, and the next phase of tectonic development will involve the continents closing into Pangea Proxima/Ultima. So are these continents that were connected 500 million year ago and are just now coming back together? Or are they the end stages of a split 160-230 million years ago, like our own?

Lastly, just a few pictures of important tectonic history, like when major plates split, came together, or change direction can be very helpful as well, as all of these (along with climate) strongly determine what kind of features you'd find at any given point.