Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Wheel of Time

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by bleedscarlet View Post
    Beautiful map, I have no critiques but I'm excited to see the final version!!
    Thank you! I’d love to see the final version as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    Thanks so much for showing your process in Procreate! I tend to use the same workflow digitally as I would with traditional painting and always forget to use layers and different layer settings to my advantage. Seeing how others work with layers helps a lot!

The map looks amazing! Although the colouring looks beautiful I really like the linework alone as well.
    Blending modes were pretty daunting to get used to and there was a learning curve. I still don’t know when to use what blending mode sometimes.. But it is a really helpful tool and if used properly can save you a lot of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    This is fantastic and is already light years ahead of any other WoT maps I've seen. It's gonna be a thing of beauty when finished - heck, it already is.
    Haha, thanks! There are some really amazing maps out there. There are artsy ones with beautiful colors and shapes and there are the informative ones that can guide you through the books or series. I hope to combine best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Woahhh...that's one awesome map-style* you have there. Love it! I mean the b/w one is already quite beautiful, to be honest....but the color-version...wow! As a fan of the world of the WoT, I approve! (and I mean fan of the books and the world "painted" in there...the amazon series, not so much)

* reminds me a lot of JEdwards' signature style, which of course is to say it's artistic and just all around awesome
    John Stevenson is a really really big influence for me when it comes to depth. I study his methods a lot and have at least one map in every moodboard I make for a map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B8784C5-5C76-4F86-9DC0-5088ECFA4D7C.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	9.09 MB 
ID:	131988

Here is the latest map. I’ve begun proper labeling. At first I did not know if I wanted all the labels to go in there but when rereading the books I really depended on the informative maps so here they are. There are more than 150 labels in there.. way more than I usually would put in a map and there are still some missing. I hope it does not intervene too much with the landscape.. Almost all the major roads and rivers are in place so the continuing of the lining can begin soon!

Hi Gerralt! It looks like you started something huge, and already incredible looking!

I think the quantity of labels is ok, but if I have one thing to say,is that it's not always looking readable what is what (also because I don't know this WoT world at all) especially around the two rivers, where there are a lot of names. (like comfrey or taren ferry?).
    The small cities icon looks outstanding, and John's moutain syle are well perform!

All the best for the end of the process!

This is so good! I couldn't be a bigger fan of the style. It has so much life; every inch of the map looks full, unique and expansive.

I like how the style shows how the land folds and each mountain peak is unique. The map looks pretty good.
    View my website and Instagram

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine.L View Post
    Hi Gerralt! It looks like you started something huge, and already incredible looking!

I think the quantity of labels is ok, but if I have one thing to say,is that it's not always looking readable what is what (also because I don't know this WoT world at all) especially around the two rivers, where there are a lot of names. (like comfrey or taren ferry?).
    The small cities icon looks outstanding, and John's moutain syle are well perform!

All the best for the end of the process!
    Thanks! This is bigger than anything I’ll ever do again.. but Now I’m this far I won’t stop! I changed the Two Rivers! I hope it’s more readable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadhead View Post
    This is so good! I couldn't be a bigger fan of the style. It has so much life; every inch of the map looks full, unique and expansive.
    Thank you! I’m glad you like the style.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiAeon View Post
    I like how the style shows how the land folds and each mountain peak is unique. The map looks pretty good.
    Thank you! I love to give the mountains some character instead of being an icon on the map.

Well.. here is my WIP!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC9BDE26-44E2-43DE-B66C-10D80BA90247.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	4.97 MB 
ID:	132050

All these icons! I really wanted them all to look unique. Looking every town and city up in the book searching for descriptions and then try to translate that into icons. I hope this will turn out worthwhile because now it is just a mess of towers and structures. It is not a map for on a postcard.. Let’s hope the colors and values will help this further. Now the icons are ready I’ll start lining the mountains!

Much better for me! The smalls town icons help a lot for the global understanding.

Courage for the continuation! You're on the path for a masterpiece!

Speaking of wizardry, you're crafting a magical map in here !
    I'm really impressed by your last maps, and this one is setting the bar even higher.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It's looking so great, DD. Too bad the show isn't even half as good...

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Saying this looks better than the show would be really underselling the quality of the map (so far) since the show is awful.

This already looks amazing.
    J.E. is our top-notch cartographer here, so no wonder you take inspiration from him, as many other i presume (myself included).
    However, you do have your own inprint in this and your illustrations are so inspirational and neat!
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast