Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Modelling" Maps

The first one I posted is closer, though to be fair, those aren't valleys - but I don't see the OP specifically asking about valleys, so much, using 3D or other options to simulate elevation in terrain.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blender is definitely possible. There are two ways I can think of. One is to just model on a mesh in sculpting mode. But it should also be possible to draw on a black and white UV height map and be able to see the effects in real time in another view port. Sculpting is probably the better option, because with a height map you just aren't going to get the fidelity and realism without running it through something like Wilbur for texturing. In which case it's much easier to work through raster programs, Wilbur, and then import it into Blender. There are also specific programs built for this, the only one I can think of at the moment is Gaea (which has, or at least used to have, a free tryout version). I'm also certain that someone has made a Blender plug in for terrain development, but it was a paid one, there might be free ones.

As far as modeling a mesh goes, here's a planet model, done in Wings 3D. The mountains are more extreme than reality, but I did this purposely.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circes moon.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	131974  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Wow, thanks for the many answers!

Hadn't time to answer myself yet. This has helped me a lot, though! I had a look at WorldCreator and since they had a Black Friday sale I bought it... It seems pretty suited to get most of the things done that I'd love to do, such as creating local maps and visualizing scenes. Also had another look at Blender, and man, do I want to learn that! If only I had the tenacity to stick to learning it! ))

@gamerprinter, thanks for the multiple examples. You're right, the terrain generation was my most urgent question, but it's always nice to see what else can be done with the various methods that are available out there.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

@Tiana I was wondering if it's possible to import structures from Sketchup into World Creator? Do you or anyone have experience with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    As far as modeling a mesh goes, here's a planet model, done in Wings 3D. The mountains are more extreme than reality, but I did this purposely.

GP
    I keep thinking about mapping an asteroid, so this is tantalizing. Would this app also work (or better ones?) for altering the overall shape. For instance - intersecting tetrahedrons like Escher's Double Planetoid? I'm considering a city/part of a city map on this kind of alternate geometrical construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyph View Post
    I keep thinking about mapping an asteroid, so this is tantalizing. Would this app also work (or better ones?) for altering the overall shape. For instance - intersecting tetrahedrons like Escher's Double Planetoid? I'm considering a city/part of a city map on this kind of alternate geometrical construction.
    Sure, the software even has tetrahedrons built in as one of the primitive shapes. They have icosahedrons (20 sided dice, shapes).
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Llannagh View Post
    @Tiana I was wondering if it's possible to import structures from Sketchup into World Creator? Do you or anyone have experience with that?
    Sorry, I didn't see this. I don't use Sketchup but I do know that in World Creator you can set up a library of 3D shapes to scatter around, intended for trees / foliage and the like, I'm sure the same library system would work for Sketchup objects if they are the right file type. I usually use the procedural scattering if I do this, I can't remember if you can individually place objects. I would be more inclined to make my work flow the other direction--world built in World Creator and then bring it into Unity or Blender or UE4 to populate with manmade objects.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

You'd have to check the import/export formats for whatever 3D programs you're using allows. I tend to model then export to .OBJ format, which is pretty universal file format for 3D. Then import my OBJ files to Vue Creator or Blender, whatever I happen to be using. I cannot say anything regarding Sketchup or World Creator, but I assume they can use that format.
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Llannagh View Post
    Hi Guild,

it has been ages since I posted anything here, but every now and then I pay a visit and I'm still amazed by what you people create!

Now I hope to get back to world-building (WorldAnvil, anyone? Opinions? I love it!) and map making. I have moved away from Photoshop and Wacom and now I'm using an iPad Pro with Artstudio Pro. I also tried a little painting, which I love, but my passion is still mostly for maps. But I have a dream, and maybe you guys might have an idea or opinions if it's achievable! I would love to a) outline a landmass with a pen (or in Artsudio etc) and then b) just kind of "model" the terrain, as if working with clay.
    My guess is that that would probably be possible with Blender, which so far I have been too lazy to learn.

I'm looking forward to your ideas, opinions, suggestions!

All the best,
    Llannagh
    I am actually a Blender user and this wouldn't be that hard to achieve! You can just create a shape and in the "sculpt" mode just pull up and down and around! Although beware, it can be VERY hard for your PC to run Blender with such a high poly count as a detailed map.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast