Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Unknown - Over the Garden Wall

The oasis-hamlet of Joppa, along the far rim of Moghra'yi, the Great Salt Desert.

Map The Unknown - Over the Garden Wall

Recently finished this map for a friend's birthday. This is probably the most detailed map I've drawn to date and I had a lot of fun trying out new techniques and hiding little details here and there. Thoughts and tips always appreciated

All hand-drawn; started with a rough pencil plan before inking with fineliners; 130gsm A5; November 2021.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-11 - The Unknown low res.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	131965

Lovely illustrations! I'm amazed that you were able to draw so many details in an A5 sized map.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really neat! I like all of the little bubble images - there is a term but mind is blanking... The little potato head face thing on the tree branch is a bit unnerving though!

TO ADELAIDE

I've watched OtGW around this time of year, yearly, for the past few years. I didn't do it this year. Shame. It's so short it's more like watching a movie than a TV show. And every single episode is a BANGER. So good. You captured a shocking amount of the show in here that one can only appreciate if they've watched the show. Even down to a teacup on a stump.

I am surprised you don't have the image of the beast, though, unless I'm missing it. Just the lantern itself. That's the one thing I'd like to see if you ever remade this. OtGW is full of memorable NPC designs, and in your capturing of the WORLD they travel through, I also miss the weird vibrance of the life, poems, and songs.

It's delightful though and I'm sure your friend will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    The little potato head face thing on the tree branch is a bit unnerving though!
    Potato?! Ah, how to "say I haven't watched Over The Garden Wall without actually saying it". And that's a rock fact.

Give it a watch, it's a short mini-series, only a few hours of investment.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

This is looking really nice, great work.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Potato?! Ah, how to "say I haven't watched Over The Garden Wall without actually saying it". And that's a rock fact.

Give it a watch, it's a short mini-series, only a few hours of investment.
    I think I have been caught out here (it being a series and not reality also solves the question of why the friend refers to their aunt as Aunty Whispers)! I will definitely have to look into the series.

I think I have been caught out here (it being a series and not reality also solves the question of why the friend refers to their aunt as Aunty Whispers)! I will definitely have to look into the series.
    Yes, a character from the series. XD It's really short, honestly one of the best, most charming contemporary cartoons I've seen. A little weird but quaint and nice and all that. Just like the map. If you liked this map you'll like the show, I'm sure.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

The oasis-hamlet of Joppa, along the far rim of Moghra'yi, the Great Salt Desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    Lovely illustrations! I'm amazed that you were able to draw so many details in an A5 sized map.
    Thank you! I recently got some new fine liners and was testing them out. I also had to go veerrryyy slowly.

Really neat! I like all of the little bubble images - there is a term but mind is blanking... The little potato head face thing on the tree branch is a bit unnerving though!
    Thanks! Yeah it's meant to be a cute rock, but I didn't do it justice haha.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    This is looking really nice, great work.
    Thanks Minish! It was a lot of fun to draw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast