Thread: The City of Empyrean Souls - Isometric Steampunk City Commission

Default The City of Empyrean Souls - Isometric Steampunk City Commission

Commissioned by a game master for a very fortunate party.

Floating mountainous islands and an airship port serviced by a magical train that twists and turns in the air above the city, casting a large shadow.

This steampunk city is one of my more unique works from this year. A lot of gritty steam detail and mood. I took so long on it that I can see the buildings I started with and buildings I ended with... to me the improvement in my skill as I progressed is jarringly obvious. Which gives me mixed feelings; on one hand I absolutely love it, but it's so obvious to me that the Machinus Sector was the last part of the buildings I completed... I feel like I levelled up on that part of town. Just that section is an entire detailed map in its own right. Whew. This may be one of the most time consuming pieces of art I ever made. I can't even say how long was spent on windows alone.

That all said, this map is full of detail and I hope you enjoy looking at it! Please enjoy, and feel free to check out my other fantasy maps if you liked this and want to see the variety of other maps I've created. I don't think this one is even in my portfolio yet, I can be pretty inconsistent on remembering to post here and there, heh.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The City of Empyrean Souls summer small watermarked.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	132006

Because this was a high end commission it came with "time of day" and "season" variations.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The City of Empyrean Souls small watermarked.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	132007

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Can't rep you again so soon but a lovely map!

Nice work! It surely says "steampunk" and the two versions shows your talent with colours.

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Can't rep you again so soon but a lovely map!
    Thank you, a comment is just as lovely as a rep!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice work! It surely says "steampunk" and the two versions shows your talent with colours.
    Thank you. Indeed, very steampunk, I love the aesthetic and colors too! I ended up making like 8 color variations for night, winter, fall, etc... got a little carried away... just love to do that as an extra feature for a map. XD

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

Love this! I the use of magenta and red reminds me a little of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party for some reason. Fab stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggoth View Post
    Love this! I the use of magenta and red reminds me a little of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party for some reason. Fab stuff
    Oh I didn't see your comment! Sorry! Thank you, I have always been a little inspired by Alice in Wonderland, it's so charming, there's definitely a dash of that inspo in this map, although it isn't quite as cartoonishly zany I would say! Thanks for your comment.

This map amazes me… The colors! And I really like the thumbnail as you can nicely see the path the Comet takes. I love the texture too! Amazing job!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door View Post
    This map amazes me… The colors! And I really like the thumbnail as you can nicely see the path the Comet takes. I love the texture too! Amazing job!
    Thank you! I appreciate your comment. I also like how it's clear from the thumbnail. This map would have blown my mind if I saw it when I started mapping here in 2009. I wouldn't have had a clue how to make it and if you told me it was my art I would have laughed at you. So, I think it amazes me too.

Your art was one of the inspirations for me pushing at the edges of my skill set with maps like this one. I really like your work with borders and frames.

This map is strange, but the most pleasant, fun and colorful sort of strange.

The strangeness that sparks curiosity and imagination.

Very good job, it's a nice and very unusual piece !
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance