Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: README: Mapping Challenge Rules

It usually runs to the end of the month so as not to interfere with the next month. It should be started by one of the CL's, but no one has jumped in this time. I have been alternating running the Lite Challenges with Diamond, but if no one starts a new one by tonight I will get it going.

Maybe it could be good to clarify to what extent copyright laws has to be followed. Can i for example make new map based on another map? Can i base the map off a google map? Can i use images taken from the web? Et cetera...

We have this already:

Legal Rules
    - You must follow copyright rules, and may not use any map resources that are copyrighted to the point of preventing you from posting them to the public. All submitted entries must be your own work. All posted content is the sole property of the poster and may not be reused without permission. By submitting an entry to the Mapping Challenge you automatically grant permission to the Cartographers Guild to have your entry featured on the site as a contest winner.

Do you think that covers it?

Question: Does the map need to be finished five days prior to the last five days of the month, or is it possible to end the map on the last day, so long as the thread was opened in time?

Blog Entries

The leader running the challenge will post when the closing date and time is and normally you get a couple of posts notifying people of a day to go. Often it is late because we have life / work commitments but once its closed then the challenge threads get locked and the voting poll is put up. So you can start a map on the last day and work on it right up to the wire so long as you get your final updates in before the thread gets locked. Often tho its better to work on it a bit through the month or else people wont follow it and appreciate the map. But if you were to put in a super map on the last day then its possible it could win. You would need to show that you did the map yourself with some progress images as well.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    The leader running the challenge will post when the closing date and time is and normally you get a couple of posts notifying people of a day to go. Often it is late because we have life / work commitments but once its closed then the challenge threads get locked and the voting poll is put up. So you can start a map on the last day and work on it right up to the wire so long as you get your final updates in before the thread gets locked. Often tho its better to work on it a bit through the month or else people wont follow it and appreciate the map. But if you were to put in a super map on the last day then its possible it could win. You would need to show that you did the map yourself with some progress images as well.
    Sorry, I'm confused... you said you can post a map on the last day, but the rules says 5 days :

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Each month a mapping topic or concept will be announced and entries must be received 5 days before the end of the month. Judging will take place during those last 5 days, and a winner will be announced within that time frame.

The following procedures must be followed in order to join the mapping challenge.
    [LIST][*]Entry deadline - Entries for each Challenge must be posted prior to the last five days of that particular Challenges month.
    So, which is it ?

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Joel, I think the 5 day rule thing was for when the challenges first started. It's now just the discretion of the leader running the challenge, who'll say when the challenge ends (ie. The threads lock down). So people have until whatever date they specify to get something in.

I know this challenge has just had John and Waldronate join last minute, but usually everyone does start a bit earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Sorry, I'm confused... you said you can post a map on the last day, but the rules says 5 days :

So, which is it ?
    Honestly the rule you quoted looks antiquated to me. It hasn't gone that way for a long time. The way that reads is the quote reads is that 5 days before the end of the month the contest is closed and threads locked and then voting begins. The way it works now is generally on the last of the month the contest closes and the threads are locked. The only real difference seems to be that voting closes faster (I fell like 3 days? generally) and the time frames. ie it's pretty much the same but those 5 days have been shortened and moved to the end of the month (ie the beginning of the next month).

Yeah, over the years those of us volunteering our time to manage these challenges have found that it works better this way. It's all mostly just for fun anyway.

Guild Journeyer

Is January being skipped?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast