Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xarthia (WIP)

Map Xarthia (See Final in post #14)

So I'm working on a early industrial era game in a setting I've been working on for a long time. This means I'm taking a section of one of my older maps and "zooming in". I'm also going from a basic overworld map to something like the texas map attached as a reference piece. I have no mountains, rivers, or roads hashed out on this yet. The old map has some height in it, so I'll be using that.

I'm already several hours into it from scaling up a section of the xcf of the continent map. Selecting the shore line and converting the selection to a path still meant a lot of time making the path something that worked with the stroke path function in gimp. I may want some advice later.

Attached are the old continent map, the reference map (an 1890s SW central US map) and the current WIP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belediraweb.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	356.5 KB 
ID:	132198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1892texasreferencesmall.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	907.9 KB 
ID:	132199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XarthiaWIP.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	938.0 KB 
ID:	132200  
    Last edited by Notsonoble; 02-05-2022 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Remove WIP tag
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

From blue to red, a topographic draft based on the continent maps, few height details.

I'd really like some comments here, if red is mountain peaks, rivers for this are going to be bonkers.

Name:	XarthiaWIPTopo.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	132286  
    Gimp Gradient Basics

You going to wilburize it? If so you may want to help direct rivers by depressing the gradient a bit and cutting any basins beforehand. But otherwise Wilbur will draw where the rivers go, to a decent extent. If you are avoiding topographical details then just draw where you estimate the rivers would go based on the hight data you have. It won't be as hard as all that.

It's been a while, but i believe I tried using wilbur on the continent as a whole when I scaled it from a world map and essentially got a useless mess. So probably not, my issue isn't how to get the rivers in, its does this topo make sense.
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Guild Apprentice

in general they look feasible, of course you always need exits for water, so any encircled plains you have, like the one in the bottom right and top right, will need to have some way for the water to get out, or else, they will just be lakes
    Wilbur will just fill them in with either water or earth, to get around the issue, so you'll have to help it along by making a small gap where you want the rivers to get out of these bowls!

I'll see if I can't give wilbur a second shot. Getting it to behave on linux has always been interesting though.
    Gimp Gradient Basics

This is where wilbur starts if I just take a black and white of the existing terrain layer i've got.

Name:	wilburexport.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	132444  
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Fighting with something sensible in wilbur, between bouts of day job explosions make me think I think i might be going about this all wrong...

I'm taking a map that was originally made in 2008, and had 5 continents on a size that was pretty much 1px =36ish sq miles. I've scaled up this original image 3 or 4 times before starting this map which is scaled in again, without any attempt to clean up the mess that would create.

So should I start "fresh"? Just take note of high and low points, and shoreline, and do over from there.
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Based in the idea of "start fresh" this is a height map so far from following the Eriond tutorial. Which is for a world map, but there's not really a regional tut that handles wilbur unless i'm missing one.

Name:	XarthiaPostWilburHM.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	7.94 MB 
ID:	132492  
    Gimp Gradient Basics

The step to select rivers is giving me fits, too high a threshold and it selects blobs, to low and it misses huge chunks of river. So i've added a step where i select what i can, select to path, and exporting to inkscape to clean up the path. (GIMPs selection to path still encircles even 1 px sections so every line is doubled.) It's slow going, and the rivers are still kinda crazy.

Name:	Xarthiahighlightedrivers.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	132493  
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast