Thread: WIP World map of Ithlan

Guild Novice

Wip WIP World map of Ithlan

It's been a very long time since I've posted up here; Life has a way of getting in the way of your fun sometimes. I've opt'd to redo a personal project. It's a bit of a monster at 24"x24" and really is like working on multiple maps in one. Ultimately its an exercise for me to experiment with different landforms, shapes, styles.

Here's a full shot & a few close ups. For the most part I'm just laying down linework. Occasionally I throw some very light underpainting on just to make sure things actually pop the way I want them to. The map does switch perspectives a bit, depending on the location. Some areas are more 'top down'/plan view and others take more of a perspective view. I'm ok with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full1.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	132241

Name:	2.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	132244

Name:	3.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	132245
    And my fav close up, inspired by Zion.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	1.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	525.7 KB 
ID:	132243
    Will continue to post my very slow progress....
    Last edited by Cmpkittykat; 12-28-2021 at 11:36 PM.

Love the Waterfall , coming along nicely !

Guild Novice

I'm always blown away at how fast time passes when I'm working on this map. I sat down at 930pm and just realized its almost 2am. I've been itching to get back to this project but life just kept getting in the way. Below is a quick thumb of the top half of the map where I've been working tonight. I decided to slightly scale up the northern portion, extended the range, and filled out some of the other details. I really love some of the small moments in this portion of the map and enjoy hiding things.

Though not pictured here very much, I've begun to layout the border and some of the details as well on the southern portion of the map. I'll share one of those details in my next post, as well as the underlying landscape sketch.

Full final piece is 24" x 24"

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Thumb1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	134496
    Last edited by Cmpkittykat; 10-17-2022 at 04:51 AM.

Guild Novice

I also really like the waterfall, but the whole thing looks good.

Hot damn, how have I missed this?! This is incredible, you have a gorgeous style for your cliffs and mountains. Damn, I wish I could draw like that!

I appreciate this thread hasn't been updated in a while, but I really hope you're still working on this, because I really want to see it finished. Awesome stuff!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

It looks really good so far.
    My only issue is with the river network. I can't tell in which direction the water is flowing in that meandering canyon.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    It looks really good so far.
    My only issue is with the river network. I can't tell in which direction the water is flowing in that meandering canyon.
    That was my question too. It looks like there's a canyon splitting off from that big triangular body of water that then splits in two. And in the upper portion the water somehow flows uphill where it then turns into a waterfall. Am I just not seeing the perspective correctly?

But. It is any AWESOME map so far.