Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dec/Feb '22 Lite Challenge: Barraglom

Guild Artisan

Default Dec/Feb '22 Lite Challenge: Barraglom

Alright, so, I love the generators. Spent too many hours messing with them as I watch TV at night. As the norm I find myself doing a battlemp, as I really like it when I hear someone used it in a quick game or a campaign. A photo realistic battlemap size town should push me and my laptops ability to the limit. But with 2 months to work on it, I am going to try.

Barraglom or Barraglom Bend which ever you prefer. Population 64. The generator pulled it up as Cowalley, but I changed the name as it looks like crop fields and not pasture for cows.

I chose this one after countless maps because I figure it will push me. Forests, River, River Banks, Bridge, Fields, Roads, and 16 buildings. I will be creating a lot of new assets for this ones. I have always loved trees that are a little sparse so you can see beneath them, better off as single or paired, but will need fuller trees for the forests, so this will be a new direction for me. Some new buildings planned as well, some updates and some heavily lichened do the trees shade. And then the bridge. Keeping it to scale it will be 25x125 ft long. This should be fun.

Starting Town Pictured Below

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barraglom.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	132281

Thanks for starting us off Kier! Cool village, can't wait to see what you do with it!

Guild Artisan

So, I have been plugging away at this one. I knew that the size would make it hard, but damn, seamless textures, maybe seamless but when you are doing an 80x100 map, it repeats. It took a long time to get my grass texture right, still will need some tweaking, but rather pleased, the color is close to what I want but not 100%. The buildings are not 100% complete, some new assets, and one of my older ones, which I love, but need to boost the resolution up, not quite to snuff compared to the other buildings which need to be dirtied up and chimneys, etc. I have thrown up some trees to see if I like the new look and feel.

Obviously, its slow going, but I knew it would be and we still have a full month. I think I will now focus completely on the terrain, get that 100% then save it to 1 png. Then move onto the assets, but wanted to get the general idea of where I was going. I hopefully will be able to post one at 100% so its 1 inch per square, this is I think about 50% scale.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	cowalley2A.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	132427

You are making progress, the background textures are looking good.

Guild Artisan

Alright, Plugging away. I think I am liking the forest section I have done so far. It is far more time consuming than I thought, lol. 12 new trees created, between rotating, darkness, saturation and hue, I think its made an interesting look. But dropping them in 1 at a time takes a bit.

I have the land nearly complete on another layer. But still need to create bridge, the river, some more houses, and the road. From there, I don't know, we will see how the time holds up.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	cowalley22.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	132483

Guild Artisan

Getting a lot done this weekend. Feeling pretty good on the trees, although I removed a couple yellow birch on each end of the rows, meh, they just weren't quite right. I may still add them in the final ones the bridge and houses come into play I will know if they are needed.

The river is just a smoky blue blob right now, I have of course faded the edges a little bit just so I can get a better feel of the topography. I like the color, but obviously needs textures, ripples, etc. But it works for now as I work on the ground beneath. I think the road is the next step, maybe the bridge.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	CowAlley3a.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	132494

I'm with Mr. B on the textures. The only repetitiveness I see is where I assume the crops are going to be, and that is just fine, maybe even to be expected.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Artisan

Calling it a weekend. Got at least the 1st draft of the bridge done. Tried to keep it close to the original as possible, but think it might be a little too wide at 20ft. Not sure back then and for such a small town they would have used a 2 lane bridge. But then again it is quite long, so 10 ft would look rather weak.

Also, I think I might take a little bit of liberty on the houses. Really just the 1st one, I think of that as the town house, the big building, and don't think it would have been the 1st one, closest to the bridge. thinking a barracks would be better. So will probably switch a couple of those houses around.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	CowAlley3a2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	132497

Really like the bridge, and great job with the trees and the river edge blending.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

I agree with Bogie, that river edge blending is great.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast