Thread: WIP Ashokan Center

Guild Novice

Wip WIP Ashokan Center

Taking a break on my world map to work on a commission for a friends wedding. They're getting married at the Ashokan Center, with an over-the-garden-wall theme. Here's the first 6 hours of work--moving kind of slow on this. Planning some easter eggs in the framing. I've gone ahead and included the sketch-over currently on the full map, that has some of my planning details, and a close up of the campus in progress

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP2share.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	132290

Name:	WIP2share2.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	527.3 KB 
ID:	132289
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP2share.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	132288  
    Last edited by Cmpkittykat; 01-01-2022 at 09:25 PM.

Guild Novice

Pretty pleased with how this is coming along. Took a break from the endless abyss of tree drawing to work on the framing, detailing in characters and items from Over The Garden Wall. I still have a large swath of white I need to deal with at the top, that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with. I thought perhaps originally to do some sort of stone wall & tree, but now I have two trees anchoring the bottom of the frame so it feels too repetitive. I'll at least probably put some sort of wood sign at the top with the name of the location & the date, 'hanging' off the frametop.

Any ideas?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP3share.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	132322

Oh, this one looks so good already ! The frame is super promising and the place looks wonderful.
    Maybe some flying birds could play in the top part of the frame ? They're an usual theme for a wedding, could add some life and also balance the rest of the map in a subtle way. Just an idea

Guild Novice

Alright, made some serious progress tonight over several hours of agonizing. I'm really pleased with how the top worked out. I decided to pick another fun character from the show to feature, especially since throughout the map I've hidden a bunch of pumpkins--there will be a # to find at the end, kind of like a wheres waldo type of thing!

I must say that adding color has to be my least favorite part of any project, as it feels so make-or-break stressful. All the linework is more or less complete, except for the lantern that will be hanging beneath the topmost sign and some minor details that need to be penned in. After that, its just the long slog of balancing color.

Open to any feedback or ideas as I bring this to a wrap here in the next few updates.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP4.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	132355
    Last edited by Cmpkittykat; 01-10-2022 at 03:46 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

This is looking awesome!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!