Thread: The Godlands (Commission WIP)

Default The Godlands (Commission WIP)

Hey everyone! Here's another project that is currently in the works. This one is a D&D campaign with powerful gods which have formed the landscape of this map. Each country has it's own deity which has a rival god from a different country. The massive crater in the middle of the map was created when an entire country was teleported into the middle of the continent. The strait in the northwestern part of the map that cuts through was also created by magic.

I put more effort into this map to make it fairly realistic in terms of climates and I got to do a most of the world building, which has been a fun process.
    I've got all the biomes laid out and I'm currently working on the shading and forests.

This is a bit of a different style from what I do normally and I've really been enjoying it and love how it looks so far. Let me know if you have any comments or criticism!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Color_draft.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	507.4 KB 
ID:	132320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Biomes_draft.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	132319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Godlands_draft.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	132321

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Hello all! Huge update here. Linework and shading are done! This map has been slowly progressing and like always I ended up making it very detailed.

I've really enjoyed the process as the style is quite different from what I normally do, especially the forests, but I'm loving the visuals of it. I spent a while experimenting with different styles of forests until I found something that I really liked and I thought worked with the map.

Let me know what you think of the style and if it's a 'yay' or 'nay'

Any comments and constructive criticism are encouraged before I move onto cities and labelling.

Name:	Godlands_CG.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	133014

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is kick ass on so many levels. Nothing but love from me! Very nice work on the biomes, each one is distinct but layers well one against the other, nothing looks forced. Can't wait to see how you do the label work on this beast!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That is kick ass on so many levels. Nothing but love from me! Very nice work on the biomes, each one is distinct but layers well one against the other, nothing looks forced. Can't wait to see how you do the label work on this beast!
    Thanks Diamond! I had a lot of fun with the world building and coloring of biomes on this one

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Fantastic map, so much mapping goodness. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the cross section thru the mountains in the northwest peninsula. I get that it was cleaved by magic,
    but I think that there would be some varying textures from different rock strata and erosion that would have started quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Fantastic map, so much mapping goodness. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the cross section thru the mountains in the northwest peninsula. I get that it was cleaved by magic,
    but I think that there would be some varying textures from different rock strata and erosion that would have started quickly.
    Hey Bogie! Thanks for the feedback. You're right it does look a bit flat. I was experimenting a little bit with adding some texture/rock strata but I wasn't happy with anything yet because I found it complicated the visual of the flat surface. I think I'll try again to see if I can get something satisfactory and more visually interesting.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

What about some kind of rocky texture like you said, but turned way down in opacity so most of the gray color shows through? That way you don't obscure the cut, but still make it a little more 'realistic'.

Hello all, here's a bit of an update. Labelling is coming along.

I've also included some snippets of two detailed locations, a massive (very massive) tree and an evil chasm.

Comments and criticism welcome

Name:	Draft_1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	715.8 KB 
ID:	133114

Name:	Tree.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	274.9 KB 
ID:	133112

Name:	Crater.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	133113
    Last edited by Josiah VE; 03-26-2022 at 07:54 PM.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Hi everyone,

I'm ready to call this one finished. Let me know if you have any comments or criticism!

Name:	Godlands_CG.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	133305

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM