Thread: Trying to convert a simple heightmap for importation to Crusader Kings 3

Question Trying to convert a simple heightmap for importation to Crusader Kings 3

Hey everyone. I recently learned how to use the map editor for Crusader Kings 3. I have an old world of my own invention that isn't being used for anything right now, and I'd like to make a mod for CK3 so I can play the game in this setting. The thing is, I'm having a ton of trouble getting this world into a good height map for the game's map editor.

I am not particularly talented or artistic, so I usually make maps in the Azgaar program, as it is an easy way to make simple height maps and paint biomes over them. What I am stuck on is converting this simplified Azgaar height map into a style that imports in an accurate and aesthetically pleasing way.

Since CK3 imports height maps in a sort of unpredictable profile, I have selected as my target image the height map currently in use for the game's excellent LotR mod, Realms in Exile. It has, in my opinion at least, the perfect amount of detail, variety, legibility and elevation profile, and translates very well to the scale I am hoping for.

I have months worth of maps I made using Wilbur to try to erode/modify the Azgaar map but to be honest I was never able to actually make anything good and I gave up sometime late last winter. I started by trying to import the best ones of those to CK3 but they don't translate very well. So I've started playing around with TerreSculptor which has been a lot of fun, and I've made some cool stuff, but nothing that gets me close to my "goal" style of this Middle-Earth map. Does anyone know how I could use terresculptor to achieve something like this? Or is there some other method I'm completely missing.

Below I have included both maps, my Azgaar height map and the height map used by the game to generate the Realms in Exile terrain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53txS9T.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	132356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EThhOaB.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	567.7 KB 
ID:	132357  
    Last edited by Broadhead; 01-10-2022 at 02:19 PM.