Thread: Map of the Imperium and the Known Galaxy

Default Map of the Imperium and the Known Galaxy

Someone once told me that at some point you just have to call a map done.

Was playing Stellaris some years ago which very quickly turned 40k and I got a bit inspired.
    Forgive the edgy lore-dump. Felt it needed to be a propaganda piece in true 40k-fashion.

Never was sure about the overly texted version. Feels a bit dense so have a "pure" version as well.

Been having this map on my computer for about a year now, opening it up once every month to change some textboxes.
    Never quite get satisfied with the iconography but enough is enough.
    If anyone got a better idea for how to draw an icon of a wormhole that doesn't just look like a pin, I'd be glad to know

Background made in Photoshop, the rest made in illustrator.

Been on the forum for about 8 years lurking without posting anything. Difficult to choose what to post as a debut with all the amazing maps being posted every day but it's time to dip my toes.

Hope you enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout_Curved_Rescaling_SmallerMap-01.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	8.53 MB 
ID:	132366

Name:	Map-01.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	9.14 MB 
ID:	132367
    Last edited by Repporio; 01-11-2022 at 06:53 PM.

I like it! It looks great. It definitely has that 4X feel to it. What a bleak galaxy, though!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Really awesome work. You've got a bunch of typos scattered around, but that takes away nothing from the overall map and aesthetic. Excellent lore/world-building.

Glad to see this finally finished! Looks amazing. I for one love the iconography, and all the decorative elements on the borders and such are great. The full version is a bit text heavy, yes, but the layout looks good.
    About time you posted something!

Also, what are those fonts you used for the headings? I need them in my life
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

This looks really good and, though the wormholes do look like pins, I have not idea how I'd depict something like that .

As Diamond said there are a few typos, the most prominent one for me being in the Legend. It should be: System with an inhabited world.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    I like it! It looks great. It definitely has that 4X feel to it. What a bleak galaxy, though!
    Thanks! Really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Really awesome work. You've got a bunch of typos scattered around, but that takes away nothing from the overall map and aesthetic. Excellent lore/world-building.
    Thank you! Yeah, I gave it a last look just after I had posted it and ofcourse that's when my brain decides to register all the mistakes. Lots of in-game archeology of loading old saves done to get all the lore. Was a fun project though. Will definetly do something similar again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Glad to see this finally finished! Looks amazing. I for one love the iconography, and all the decorative elements on the borders and such are great. The full version is a bit text heavy, yes, but the layout looks good.
    About time you posted something!

Also, what are those fonts you used for the headings? I need them in my life
    Thanks Kell! Appreciate it Means a lot coming from you.
    And yeah, about time. We'll see when I put up something next.

The fonts for the title are Morris Roman Alternate-Black and Old Constructed Caps.
    Looking back on it now I may have gone overboard with the different font-styles on this map. Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    This looks really good and, though the wormholes do look like pins, I have not idea how I'd depict something like that .

As Diamond said there are a few typos, the most prominent one for me being in the Legend. It should be: System with an inhabited world.
    Thanks mate! You wouldn't believe how long I spent just looking at wormholes trying to come up with a good icon.
    Here's some iterations I tried but never got satisfied with, so decided to just stick with the original.

Name:	Icons.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	132381

And yeah, atleast should've made sure the legend was correct but oh well

What a debut! This is amazing. One of my favorite parts of Stellaris is how the lore unfolds over the game. You've done a great job blending that with a beautiful, detailed map. Zooming in to look over all the little symbols and labels was a blast.

It's an excellent galactic map, elegant and well balanced with data, which is always a challenge.