Thread: Map for the novel Admissions:

Map Map for the novel Admissions:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Admissions Map 4Apprvl.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	132387

This map was for Admissions: A Memoir of Surviving Boarding School, by Kendra James. A non-fiction memoir about the first black legacy student to graduate from Taft university. The author requested to have a map of the school grounds (attached here) appear in the frontmatter, but wanted it re-imagined in a fantasy-style design. Really driving home that her experience there was very unfamiliar, almost like walking into another world at times.

I was hired after the first illustrator they picked, couldn't give them what they wanted, which was a fantasy feeling to the map of Taft University. Thanks to Jeff Stiefel for hiring me.

To quote "Everyone in editorial had nothing but great things to say about the map, author was very pleased as well! You really nailed the style they wanted to see from the beginning. And I know I keep saying it, but you did such a great job laying everything out and fitting everything, so appreciated."
    It was a tough challenge to get it right.
    I'm really happy with this map.

Great job nailing that commission! You did well. It sounds like it would be an interesting story to read.

this is really lovely. it is clean and the buildings have very straight lines which give it a crisp modern feel and are a lovely contrast with the textural background.
    overall its a great mix of modern and traditional 'feels'
    also love the frame :-)