Thread: Problems with Continental Shelf - Help with WILBUR would be apreciated.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

Help Problems with Continental Shelf - Help with WILBUR would be apreciated.

I used the tutorial "doin stuff with Wlibur" to generate this map (and i'm very happy with it BTW):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilbur Texture.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	8.83 MB 
ID:	132416
    ^ it's 30% of the original (12k x 12k) size, so it looks quit bad, but the big one looks nice.
    v I used this image to generate it initialy, only the land was used of course (everything that is not some shade of blue):

Name:	Troa 12k.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	132417
    My plan was to generate the land and the ocean Height maps separetely, then in photoshop put the land in top o the ocean with a mask, this way i could play around with gradient maps more easily.
    First i tried following the same tutorial i used for the land, but obviously, that's no good, then i started kicking around the paramters the tutorial showed, doing all kind of erosion shinanegans i know (not many realy, but still...) fill basins and alot of other stuff, but no, the results were too smoth or too rughed, never looking like a proper continental shelf.

Someone know a method to do this?

pls...
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

The lazy solution is to extend your mask coast contour down by about two color levels on your map (a continental shelf is approximately the edge of the continent that just happens to be submerged). The next level below that would be the abyssal plain. Make sure that the edge of your selection hits on the boundary between continental shelf and abyssal plain. You'll need to reapply the main coastline clipping to restore your original coastlines.

Another way is to make a height map from the sea levels of your map and erode those. Then add your land height map on top of that eroded ocean height map.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The lazy solution is to extend your mask coast contour down by about two color levels on your map (a continental shelf is approximately the edge of the continent that just happens to be submerged). The next level below that would be the abyssal plain.
    Well turn out, and it's no surprise, you are right Waldronate, the problem was simply my lack of understanding about continental shelf and it's form, and not my slightly smaller lack of understanding about wilbur.
    I was using gradual values like:
    Level 0 --> 0
    Level 1 --> 1000
    Level 2 --> 2000
    Level 3 --> 3000
    Level 4 --> 4000

When in reality the slope is far more extreme, this is what worked the best so far:
    Level 0 --> 0
    Level 1 --> 1000
    Level 2 --> 1250
    Level 3 --> 1500
    Level 4 --> 4000

And it make quite the diference:

Name:	Troa 12k.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	132431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Troa 12k2.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	132432
    It's not perfect, but it's way better than any result I've had before (don't mind the weird shader, i'm still learning about it)

thankyou for the help.
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.