Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: @nd attempt at world creation

Guild Member

Hi Waldronate, it's much bigger than Scotland, possibly comparable to Australia-ish I would say. I did think I might be going off in a tangent on this one. The planet itself is the same as Earth, so what would your suggestion be to improve on this, and indeed the other maps? Many thanks for your comments, really appreciated.

All I can really suggest is looking at many maps of Earth at approximately the scale of your intended maps and resolution. For example, look at a map of major rift areas around the world and you'll see that they generally have a characteristic size of a few to at most a few tens of miles across. Similarly, mountain valleys tend to generally be in a fairly narrow range of sizes as well. Taken together, the fell of that last map was a hundred to a couple of hundred miles across, which is a little small for a continent.

Guild Member

That's very helpful indeed, I will re-visit Fiothyr (the latest one) once I do the remaining continents and I bear in mind your advice for the remaining continents. Thanks again Waldronate

Guild Member

Just for info (assuming I have done it right), the scale on the full map is 1 : 1205291.72 based on my image being 105.83mm (30,000px) wide and my planet having the same diameter as Earth at 12756km. I am open to correction though.

The individual maps have just been copied from the master into smaller images for ease of viewing.

Guild Member

After giving it some thought I decided to re-visit Fiothyr (the last map I posted) and decided to re-work it. Please see attached the revised version, any feedback would be much appreciated as usual guys.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fiothyr.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	873.4 KB 
ID:	135796

By any chance do you have a color-to-altitude key and maybe a distance scale to go along with this image?

Guild Member

I hadn't started with specific height increments in mind, rather an unmarked colour ramp but here are the colours and hypothetical distances. I don't have a distance scale. I'm working on the master map continent by continent and posting a selection from the master each time. I don't know if that helps or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scale.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	135807
    Last edited by Stìophan; 06-04-2023 at 04:08 PM.

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

I absolutely love your artistic flair and attention to detail, Stiophan, and I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing the final version of this beautiful project!

Do you intend to simulate the climates on your conworld, and if so, whose method do you plan on using?

Peter

Guild Member

Thank you so much Peter, I will eventually do climate simulation, it's not an area I must admit I know an awful lot about, needless to say one more learning curve! Which method would you recommend? Open to suggestion on this one.

Stìophan

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Hi Stiophan,

To simulate the climate, everyone prefers a different method; some will swear by the simulators while others prefer to work manually using sources such as Azelor's Tutorial. (Which I tried to follow, but messed up halfway through and opted for another method.) Currently, when all my terrain is complete, I import the file into Clima-Sim first, since its calculations take no more than a minute using my computer. I look at the temperature distribution and tweak the parameters until I get something I REALLY like. Then, I use the big guns, ExoPlaSim, to do the final simulation, which takes hours and hours. I know some users don't trust ExoPlaSim and prefer to work manually, especially considering the program doesn't factor in ocean currents. If you're looking for accuracy, however, I believe ExoPlaSim is a fine option. Whatever you ultimately choose, I'm eagerly awaiting your results.

Peter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast