Thread: Coloring surfaces

Help Coloring surfaces

Greetings. I need advice on how best to show continuous bodies of water on maps. I'm trying to color them. But it still leaves me unsightly brushstrokes. I tried the ink wash technique. The result is better, but it's still not clean. Maybe it's just a lack of practice. When I paint forests, it doesn't matter so much there. On the contrary, it looks interesting and creates shading of the treetops. But it looks weird on the water.
    Can you advise on how to better use the ink wash technique or a completely different way of representing water areas?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WaterSurface.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	762.1 KB 
ID:	132552

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hi there!

When it comes to pen and paper I just did a few maps like that before going on to digital. BUT, there is stuff from my Thunder Rock map that I feel can maybe lift out another technique.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water preview_v1.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	132553

So, besides the texture of the paper, I literally used pen strokes to signify movement on the water. Plus adding a little highlighting and shading around them to make them pop a bit. Pen strokes like this can add some character to your bodies of water, if you are willing to try it out.

It's simple, but I hope it helps.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Blog Entries

Would gouache be a useful alternative to ink. Its opaque and noted for delivering a very flat result.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Would gouache be a useful alternative to ink. Its opaque and noted for delivering a very flat result.
    Being new to all this, I can't add too much except to second the above comment. I used a wash of gouache on my map and by using watered down and thin layers built up for depth I was able to get an almost "brushless" look (there are only two or three areas where I missed washing out the strokes and none in the water areas).