Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kingdom of Fesselmark (WIP, Warlock RPG)

Looks really nice. There`s a lot of details to explore already.

One thing thats weird though are the odd german place names. A few examples "Leberlecken" (licking liver), "Schwarze Wurst" (black sausage), "Wieheist" (one s added more, it would be "wie heisst", "hows the name of"), "Krankburg" (sick castle), "Geruch" (smell), "Feucht" (wet)... and so on. There are really a lot of involuntarily funny sounding places. Of course such odd place names exist in the real world, but here it`s really a lot.

I also don`t know if i would use that runic "font" for the, i suppose, dwarf places or the gothic font for the necropoli. The symbols alone signal them being there... typographically, this feels odd too, to me. Perhaps decide for one font and stick with it for the whole map? Could be a broken font or something, but they contrast a lot with the modern feel of the rest.

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
    I don't think that a mountain has the same meaning in Nepal and Netherlands.
    "High Mountain" - this is the name of the highest hill of Lithuania. It is 293.84 m above sea level. The Dead Sea is actually a lake. And in Poland we have a stream called Dry Water. And so on

Quote Originally Posted by rbnvgl View Post
    One thing thats weird though are the odd german place names. A few examples "Leberlecken" (licking liver), "Schwarze Wurst" (black sausage), "Wieheist" (one s added more, it would be "wie heisst", "hows the name of"), "Krankburg" (sick castle), "Geruch" (smell), "Feucht" (wet)... and so on. There are really a lot of involuntarily funny sounding places. Of course such odd place names exist in the real world, but here it`s really a lot.
    As I wrote in the first post: Info for those who speak German. The names of the towns & cities are silly. I know that. It's intentional. These names are stupid and meant to be kept stupid. Amen.
    Lassen Sie mich das auf Deutsch wiederholen: Die Namen der Städte sind albern. Ich weiß das. Das ist auch so gewollt. Diese Namen sind dumm und sollen dumm bleiben. Amen.
    (If I were preparing this map for the Germans, I would change these names definitely.)

Quote Originally Posted by rbnvgl View Post
    I also don`t know if i would use that runic "font" for the, i suppose, dwarf places or the gothic font for the necropoli. The symbols alone signal them being there... typographically, this feels odd too, to me. Perhaps decide for one font and stick with it for the whole map? Could be a broken font or something, but they contrast a lot with the modern feel of the rest.
    I know that using different fonts is against the rules. However, for a few reasons, I decided to make an additional distinction between dwarven, goblin, and undead settlements and human cities. This emphasizes the foreignness of these locations - in my opinion. After all, you are correct in writing that this introduces stylistic inconsistency.

On the other hand, however, players do not read map descriptions. Seeing the anvil - they thought it was a mine. Seeing the skulls, they thought it was a destroyed city, and the crescent icon, they thought it was temples, or maybe human settlements captured by goblins. So I decided to use a different typeface in these cases to further emphasize the strange nature of these locations. And I think I'll stay with that choice. Probably.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test-print1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	744.9 KB 
ID:	132842

In the meantime, I have received a test printout and I'm starting to make the necessary corrections, mainly to improve the readability of this map.

Wip

I have taken to drawing a regional map of the Fesselburg area, meaning I will have to go from a scale of 1:2,500,000 to a scale of 1:300,000.

Name:	kingdom-sc1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	588.3 KB 
ID:	133299

So I reached for the pencil, the circulars, the rulers and started drawing in ink.

I added details, villages, streams, farms, ruins, country roads, castles and keeps, etc.

Name:	20220422_061121.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	133300

Work in progress.

Regional map in Polish version finalised

Name:	obwod-fesselburg-maly.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	6.34 MB 
ID:	133413

Two maps. Two styles. One kingdom. Warlock!
    Map finished.

Name:	warlock.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	909.8 KB 
ID:	133564

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

They look beyond fantastic. I think I broke a tooth grinding them in envy...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    They look beyond fantastic. I think I broke a tooth grinding them in envy...
    Hahaha! Thank you!

And so it looks like this.

Physical map:

Name:	krolestwo-fiz-guild.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	497.2 KB 
ID:	133584

Fantasy map:

Name:	królestwo-guild.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	133585

I am still working on the English version.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12