Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adfor's Traditional Scrawlings

Default Adfor's Traditional Scrawlings

It's been awhile since I layed pen to paper. Building a portfolio is my main focus currently, as I would like to start taking commissions soon. I figured a place to put all of the random pieces that have no home would be a good start. So here goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220220_135708194.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	132845

Had a friend throw a little get together, where I met a few new acquaintances, one of which took interest in my cartography. I drew a quick map, which he was gracious enough to ask me to sign and moniker, and said he wanted to frame it. Shortly after, I drew this map, still unnamed, because I wanted to give it to him as a token of appreciation. Finished it in about a week. Turned out great methinks!

IR

That's a beautiful map! I love the style, it's very unique. Did you have any particular inspiration?

Guild Member

Amazing work. Espically love the mountains and the hills.

Great work Ian. I'm sure that your project will be a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    That's a beautiful map! I love the style, it's very unique. Did you have any particular inspiration?
    Thanks Turambar! No particular inspiration, I just wanted to try a few new things, such as the forests and stippling of the coasts. These ideas came from fellows of the guild.

Quote Originally Posted by limon View Post
    Amazing work. Espically love the mountains and the hills.
    Thank you limon! They are of my own creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkin View Post
    Great work Ian. I'm sure that your project will be a success.
    Much appreciated Silvio! Hopefully I can stay on the wagon, focus isn't exactly my strong suit. I've been really thinking about breaking into commissions recently, I would love to have my work put out there at this point.

PS Thanks for the rep!!

This is looking great Ian. I love your style, it's so unique and charming.

I hope the commission work goes well for you also. This type of work can be quite good for helping you keep focused due to having a client that you are accountable to. Knowing there is someone out there who is expecting you to complete the work can be a very good motivator.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    This is looking great Ian. I love your style, it's so unique and charming.

I hope the commission work goes well for you also. This type of work can be quite good for helping you keep focused due to having a client that you are accountable to. Knowing there is someone out there who is expecting you to complete the work can be a very good motivator.
    I like that type of motivation, especially when there is a sort of excitement on the commissioner's end, that makes all the effort I put into the map so much more exciting as well.

I'm glad you like it Will, I've been working on achieving a level of polish that is admirable. I've found that my work gets "charming" a lot, which I'm quite alright with me, it's a wonderful compliment, and seems to be the style I've found for myself. It's exciting personally to have found a definitive look that seems to travel from piece to piece. I try to do something different with every map, something out of my comfort zone, as it helps determine what I like and don't like. The forests for example are a new one, couldn't help but try out Impractical Cartographer's forest style, just to see how I'd like it. That's why I love this forum, exposure to different techniques.

Anyhoo, here's an update.

Name:	PXL_20220227_025307041.MP.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	6.61 MB 
ID:	132885

Couldn't help but to put a border on it. It will be framed, so I wanted a touch of illustration. A compass rose is to come, brainstorming which I finish up the border. Still thinking of a name for it, which will probably be the only labeling on the map, other than the mile marker. It's been fun so far!

IR

Name:	PXL_20220304_202021587.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	132947

Looking like I should be able to finish this next time I'm freed up, it's really coming together now. Debating on if I want to incorporate some clouds to give it a sense of perspective, we'll see.

IR

Oh man! That border is really good!

I've been able to settle into my job enough to start an old Pathfinder (DnD) campaign back up, and I had some ideas to get on paper! So as of late I've been scrawling, I took 10 square/inch graph paper, designed my rough draft, taped it in the back of watercolor paper, and traced what I would consider my second rough draft.

Name:	PXL_20240106_015940893.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	136850

The tracing idea is a new thing I've been wanting to elaborate on more, so this project was a perfect opportunity. I was looking for a clean base to work off of for when I begin designing the contents, and I think the technique served its purpose just dandy.

IR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast