View Poll Results: A challenge where each choose 1 of 4 sections from a shape to map

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Let's go for it

5 100.00%
  • No, let's talk more about the idea.

0 0%

Thread: Map this Shape (New Alternative)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss Map this Shape (New Alternative)

Main Challenge suggestion:

We like the map this shape challenge. So, let's throw in a curveball with some teeth and see what happens.

Map this shape, but choose one of the four sections of the world.
    This random world shape is a good jumping off point. It's a bit more challenging, but let's see how all the different mapped sections turns out.

Rules: Choose one of the sections to map that shape.
    (Little articles of pixels is not necessary to map, the shape is the important part)

To get things started:
    Full shape containing all four sections.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_This_World's_Sections_Full_0.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	133116

Choose 1
    Part 1

Name:	Map_A_Section_Part1.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	270.4 KB 
ID:	133117

Part 2

Name:	Map_A_Section_Part2.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	292.1 KB 
ID:	133118

Part 3

Name:	Map_A_Section_Part3.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	133120

Part 4

Name:	Map_A_Section_Part4.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	404.4 KB 
ID:	133119

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I like that, but are thise shapes taken from real world or randomly generated?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    I like that, but are thise shapes taken from real world or randomly generated?
    Most of it is self generated. And I mean, most. Way back I did look at some satellite images to see how to shape coastlines more randomly. That said, I was liberal with an eraser tool when shaping the blobs of black color.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I'm always a big fan of the "map this shape" challenges, but I would recommend going with something that looks a little less precisely like a mid-scale overland map (the features suggest to me that the main map is somewhere between ten and a thousand miles across and shows an inland sea). I suppose that it would be possible to stretch it to be a cave complex, but it really reads like an overland map outline with the thin rivers.

For me, the point of challenges is about creatively overcoming constraints. Overly-broad or overly-specific challenges tend to get fewer participants precisely because the constraints aren't something that potential participants can see past (too vague and they don't know where to start, and too-specific then it's hard to see something other than the one thing looks like it is). The fun of challenges is seeing how folks creatively solve the same problem. Collaborative projects (map X parts of this overall item) can also be fun, but I'm not too fond of them as monthly challenges because there is now the perceived additional constraint of being harmonious with the surrounding items and it's hard to compare the results.

For "map this shape", I really like relatively simple geometric shapes (which I freely admit is likely due to my limited imagination and poor artistic skills). The nice thing about simple shapes is that it's very clear where they are in the map and folks get a very clear sense of where to start. They give just enough structure to immediately start and everyone will rea something different into them. For example, this shape:

Name:	dart.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	134708
    Is it a city? A castle? An island? A continent? A room in a dungeon? A plateau? The tattoo on a titan's back that got infected and has spawned its own civilization since the last time the titan moved? Some sort of oversimplified cartoon logo from the chest of some superhero that shows a labeled scar from each major encounter?
    Last edited by waldronate; 11-22-2022 at 09:55 AM.