Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making maps with Gaea

Default Making maps with Gaea

Since posting a brief tutorial on how I made the heightmap for my April-May Lite Challenge map, I have been continuing to experiment with Gaea, trying perfect its use for heightmaps. Rather than continuing to post on the tutorial thread, it seemed more appropriate to start a thread in this forum where I can document my progress. If others are working with Gaea, feel free to post here as well.

I have been continuing to experiment using randomly generated continent and region shapes as masks, using Gaea's File node. To prepare a shape to be a mask, just make sure it is 1) on a square canvas, and 2) has sharp edges (its probably easiest to keep it in two colors - I just used Posterize on GIMP to clean up the shape. Here's my latest effort:

1. Original shape file

Randomly generated from Asgars generator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ayadupia 2022-04-01-23-43.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	133165

2. Final Heightmap

Based on some tips which I came across, I made a few changes in my workflow to achieve this heightmap (you can see my original two attempts on the Tutorial thread here). The first is that I used an inverted Apex node to create more contrast between mountains and flat areas. The second is that I used a series of masks capturing a spectrum of different heights to add more noise and variation to landscape.

I also used a swirl node, to give the continent a bit more interesting shape than the original generated continent.

Name:	Ayadapedia heightmap.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	133166

3. Texturing

For fun, I did some basic texturing withing Gaea. I will be honest, I am brand new at this aspect, so this is pretty rudimentary.

Name:	Ayadapedia_colored 4x v2.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	5.55 MB 
ID:	133167

If anyone wants the original Gaea file to see what I did, let me know. For some reason the forum won't let me upload the file directly here.
    Last edited by Turambar; 04-04-2022 at 12:38 AM.

I've been continuing to experiment with Gaea to try an make continents. I finally have solved one of the problems I had been having which was getting the shores of the land to shape more realistically to the map mask (downloaded again from Asgar's generator in this case). Before this, I was struggling with jagged coasts as land was pushed up against the edges of the landmass mask.

I still have not solved my other major problem though, which is getting true continent scale. I need to get better using the new tilling features, perhaps that will help. Alternatively, I may resign myself to using Gaea to create realitic DEMs and then paste them together to create a larger heightmap in Gimp.

Anyways, here's the latest experiment I did today. More of a large island than a continent.

Name:	Courdeau 2022-04-04-16-28.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	133242

Name:	Cordeau 2 eightmap_0.5k.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	133241

Name:	Cordeau 2_2k.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	133240
    Last edited by Turambar; 04-16-2022 at 02:41 AM.

Over the past few months I have continued to dabble with trying to make more realistic continent-scale heightmaps using Gaea. The program is at its best when doing smaller areas or local terrains, but I think I have made some substantial progress. Here's my latest experiment. Still some areas for improvement, such as varying the coastline erosion at different parts of the coast.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-27 233056.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	293.8 KB 
ID:	133797

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-27 233125.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	133798
    Last edited by Turambar; 06-28-2022 at 12:11 AM.

That is starting to get much better. Good work. The scaling of Gaea seemed very specific when I tried it out, so overcoming that like you have is a serious achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    That is starting to get much better. Good work. The scaling of Gaea seemed very specific when I tried it out, so overcoming that like you have is a serious achievement.
    Thanks!

I thought that originally about the scaling, but it is actually not true at all. Gaea is fully procedural, and as such is infinitely scaleable, with resolution being the main constraint. The trick is that you have to change the scale settings on many of the nodes, especially on the erosion nodes, as well as the overall terrain scale. I'm still refining my process, but I have realized Gaea is equally capable for large scale maps as any other heightmap program out there, and I think will be even easier in future versions given that the team seems to be receptive to the growing cartography community using Gaea.

Edit: In addition to modifying scale and precipitation in the Erosion nodes, another trick that helps when it comes to texturing (and this applies to any scale terrain, but especially large scale) is to you autolevel on whatever masks you use (e.g. protrusion, slope, height) to make some of the colors and textures pop more.

Here's another more region style, but still large scale, experiment I did as a test while I was working on the continent. The test was of a new mountain technique which was kind of a fail, but I like the landmass shape a lot (lower resolution since I didn't want to wait 30 minutes to render something that was a simple test):

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-28 191559.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	547.8 KB 
ID:	133812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-28 191617.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	384.6 KB 
ID:	133813
    Last edited by Turambar; 06-28-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-01 005133.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	991.1 KB 
ID:	133828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-01 005728.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	133829

My most recent iteration on the continent heightmap workflow in Gaea, Finally getting mountains that look more realistic at this scale.

Guild Apprentice

Good to see software with erosion capability. I tried writing some erosion code a while back but never got past the buggy stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmaportl View Post
    I tried writing some erosion code a while back but never got past the buggy stage.
    Hold on... There's a coding stage that's past the buggy stage?

It looks pretty good, I used Worldmachine in past, but I ended up avoiding those editors due to the focus on erosive results due to local scale, ignoring mostly the large picture and I have anyway manually do the mountain ranges, I find myself better going with Wilbur instead , yet it has to be used carefully ,gradually and with a lot of selection masks .

Discuss Size

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-01 005133.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	991.1 KB 
ID:	133828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-01 005728.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	133829

My most recent iteration on the continent heightmap workflow in Gaea, Finally getting mountains that look more realistic at this scale.
    I recently came across this thread while trying to figure out Unreal Engine map sizes. I was wondering, how big is your continent? Im trying to figure out the limitations of gaea and would love to be able to make a 3000km^2 map for a game world

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast