Thread: Ruby Isle

Default Ruby Isle

A map I made for a friend who took interest in my maps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220430_133541351.MP.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	7.68 MB 
ID:	133349

I wanted to try some new techniques while defining some old ones. I drew this at a very emotional time, so I think some of that showed up on this one.

Copic liner pens, Prismacolor colored pencils.

IR

PS The clouds are shiny.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220317_035114392.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	6.28 MB 
ID:	133350
    Last edited by Adfor; 04-30-2022 at 10:05 AM.

Hi Ian, as always a gourgeous map. Your style is great, I like the originality and precision

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Love the details here. That is a lot of trees! I like the lightning clouds as well.

Looks lovely! The shiny clouds are a particularly cool touch. How did you pull those off?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

This looks absolutely beautiful. Everything works so well together! The colors, the linework, the clouds...

This is looking really nice Ian. I like all the decorative elements and the overall style, it's great to see more of your work.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Thank you so much for the rep everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkin View Post
    Hi Ian, as always a gourgeous map. Your style is great, I like the originality and precision
    It means a lot for you to say that, thanks Silvio!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Love the details here. That is a lot of trees! I like the lightning clouds as well.
    Thanks Finn! I was trying out impractical Cartographer's forest mania, and oddly enough it's kinda soothing to draw them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Looks lovely! The shiny clouds are a particularly cool touch. How did you pull those off?
    Thank you, Kell! The silver colored pencil that Prismacolor makes is very shiny, so I used it as a play on the cloud's "silver lining".

Quote Originally Posted by Noenoer View Post
    This looks absolutely beautiful. Everything works so well together! The colors, the linework, the clouds...
    Oh thank you, Noenoer! The even contrast between all the elements was an accident really. I finished the banner, and it was so dark and bold compared to the rest of it, so I had to do something to even it out, hence the clouds. Even with the clouds, it was lacking in balance, but then I had the idea to do the silver lining on the clouds which was just enough to offset the banner. Twas a learning experience in balance of illustration, huzzah.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    This is looking really nice Ian. I like all the decorative elements and the overall style, it's great to see more of your work.
    Aww thanks, Will! It's a pleasure for it to be seen and well regarded!

Great original style with a very pleasant render. Nice work, you really keep improving your skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great original style with a very pleasant render. Nice work, you really keep improving your skills.
    Many thanks, Ilanthar! 4 years at the guild made a big impact on both my style and skills, I'm soo grateful..