Thread: May 2022 Challenge: Mellifera Isle

Guild Novice

Wip May 2022 Challenge: Mellifera Isle

My thought was some kind of hive mind species that live on an island.
    It's also based on bees and there will be some bad puns that may or may not be noticable in the final product...
    (Also, sorry my only way to digitise it is a photo...)

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220520_020923.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	4.45 MB 
ID:	133486
    Errrr.... for some reason the image is showing up rotated by 90 in the post... but the right way up if I click it.... I have no idea how to fix that... sorry

Blog Entries

Hi Astra and welcome to the guild. Well done for starting a map for the monthly challenge. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Sometimes when an image is taken on a phone and the phone is rotated then the image is displayed on the phone the correct way up and the guilds image viewer will do that but the thumbnail for it is shown with the image in its original camera orientation. I don't think any of us can fix that but I think we can cope with it.

You could fix it by getting a phone based image editor, or a browser based one such as Photopea, opening it up in that editor, cropping and rotating it correctly, and saving as a new file, instead of posting the image directly! Welcome to the guild and congrats on joining your first challenge already.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Novice

Wip

So I made some progress today. Since the hive is based around hexagons I figured a six point compass would make more sense than a normal four point one; I now have the fantasy directions of Pointwards, Turnlich, Mirrorturn, Edgeline, Cantraturn and Arcline.
    I also named the other areas and added some details however I'm not overly happy with all of them just yet

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	20220521_051024(1).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	133492
    (Also, thanks Tiana, that seems to have fixed it for this one)

Looking good, I like the unique compass names!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Novice

More details, some inking, might do some more this evening or I might be sensible and go to bed...
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	20220523_224722.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	7.77 MB 
ID:	133514

I like your drawing in Hex. Curious to know more about your compass.

Guild Novice

Map

Finished inking it and I'm really glad it's only A6, else I'd never have finished it in time.
    I'm mostly happy with it, although there are a few places where the perspective goes a bit iffy...

The area names are (loosly) based on the life cycle of a bee and it's possible roles in a bee hive.

As regards the compass directions the very sketchily worked out lore is that pointwards/edgeline is up/down as regards to the planetary orbit around its sun; turnlich/cantraturn are the direction of planetary spin and it's inverse; and mirrorturn/arcline roughly prescribe the orbit of the major moon. The names originate from much earlier periods with varying beliefs on planetary shape and design, but have been re-aligned over millenia to their current orientations.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	20220530_002128.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	9.20 MB 
ID:	133562