Thread: Parkland- A fictional town in Alberta Canada

Default Parkland- A fictional town in Alberta Canada

Thought I would begin by posting my most recent work. It is unlike most of what I create usually, but was a fun project with a lot input from random people on the internet into what would make up a typical Alberta town.

This is Parkland, a fictional city for 100,000 people in Southern Alberta midway between Calgary and Lethbridge. It is located in an existing region at the intersection of highways AB-2 and AB-529, the only liberty I took was adding a river to allow for a source of water in an otherwise dry region.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1418.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	133505

Blog Entries

This is very cool. We generally get very deep into geographical features but this map almost exclusively focuses on the the human element. This one reminds me of Judge Dredd mega city maps that have all sorts of wacky places and features which spur the imagination. It does have the air of a map made with a lot of peoples input to it. As if some people focused on advertisement hook lines or memories from old times. Its definitely got a vibe to this map where most have not.

(crying) Peavy Mart. (dies) Abandoned Confederation mall. ATB. The Fast Gas and Gas Gas basically across the street from each other. ATB Financial. "It's cheaper here". Pembina street. Cochrane street. "Home of the Cattle Barons" No Frills. The government closed. The Giant Cow named Angus. Ag-Chem. Pick a part... the two pho places with numbers as their names.

I once made an Alberta Town Name Generator for Wonderdraft and I mean, yeah. Yeah.

I don't know if anyone who lives outside of Alberta would really get it. Maybe Saskatchewan. It's not even quite like this in Manitoba anymore though it's close. This isn't old times, Redrobes, it's Alberta tropes and it's on the nose. This could be any Alberta small town. I grew up nearby a city almost exactly like this. It's beautiful. The Co-Op Cardlock... lmao goddamnit you have everything. My one and only critique is that there isn't a street named Strathcona, though there is a Strathmore so that's close. But that's a minor complaint, given you have an Assiniboine... oh, and you forgot to give the No Frills a name like "Dave's No Frills".

I'm dying, you nailed it.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    (crying) Peavy Mart. (dies) Abandoned Confederation mall. ATB. The Fast Gas and Gas Gas basically across the street from each other. ATB Financial. "It's cheaper here". Pembina street. Cochrane street. "Home of the Cattle Barons" No Frills. The government closed. The Giant Cow named Angus. Ag-Chem. Pick a part... the two pho places with numbers as their names.

I once made an Alberta Town Name Generator for Wonderdraft and I mean, yeah. Yeah.

I don't know if anyone who lives outside of Alberta would really get it. Maybe Saskatchewan. It's not even quite like this in Manitoba anymore though it's close. This isn't old times, Redrobes, it's Alberta tropes and it's on the nose. This could be any Alberta small town. I grew up nearby a city almost exactly like this. It's beautiful. The Co-Op Cardlock... lmao goddamnit you have everything. My one and only critique is that there isn't a street named Strathcona, though there is a Strathmore so that's close. But that's a minor complaint, given you have an Assiniboine... oh, and you forgot to give the No Frills a name like "Dave's No Frills".

I'm dying, you nailed it.
    It was a fun project, mostly I draw cities in faraway places but decided to go closer to home this time.

Thank you for your kind words, unfortunately I have been going through a creative dry spell of late but hoping to create something new soon.