Thread: [WIP] What do you think of my first map?

Wip [WIP] What do you think of my first map?

Again this is a WIP please let me know if there's anything stupid I've done.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_2022-05-24_182121459.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	427.0 KB 
ID:	133519

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Good texture, though it disappears a bit in the middle islands for some reason.
    I do appreciate that you've spent some time getting the coastlines to look more natural. Though, I will say there is something bugging me. Maybe that with the amount of isles that some of them don't entirely fit the picture. For that I would suggest you firing up google earth or Satelite images of island clusters to see how to get them to fit more natural in a cluster.
    (last thing, a slight texture for the ocean would help, and you can add some depth to it. A tutorial if you are interested. )

Good luck going forward! Everyone of us had to start somewhere, so good going for taking those first steps!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Agree with XCali, the texture is good but the actual shapes themselves don't really work for me. It doesn't seem like a natural configuration of islands, looks more like cookies on a cookie tray. Also agree that Google Maps can be your friend, look up archipelagos like the Philippines, Indonesia, or the Aegean Sea to see how islands are often shaped and tend to cluster together.

I actually have moved around some of the islands and have removed a few as well. As for looking a googled earth, I've never really thought of that. But im probably going to do it and just modify most of my existing landmasses. I actually have quite a nice ocean depth system I use and I will attach a picture I have of it(note: this is before the island changes)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_2022-05-31_135853705.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	811.9 KB 
ID:	133580