Thread: WIP: Tharkas

Default WIP: Tharkas

By some miracle due to some unexpected Onedrive shenanigans, I was able to find the original grayscale height map, and ended up plugging it back into Wilbur to switch the rivers around and give things a lot more detail. I like the new color palette a lot better, but I'm not really sure about the mountains and the ocean -- might change those colors up later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Tharkas Heightmap.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	137361  

Minor palette change -- I think I like this one better, and it's a bit more visually distinct close-up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Tharkas Heightmap.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	137368

looking really nice, quick question for a noob, how did you prevent wilbur from eroding away too much hight from an existing hightmap ? And how did you create these thicker rivers ? or are they simply added in after Wilbur ?

Honestly pretty much all I did was follow the Eriond tutorial until I got to the point where the Wilbur height map was exported, then posterized the land areas in GIMP and did a super quick and basic cleanup of the noise as I replaced with the elevation colors that I wanted. The larger rivers are just a product of Wilbur erosion and if you zoom in closer you'll see that the actual river pixels only inhabit a portion of the actual cut. The idea is to be able to know the exact width, depth, and velocity of each of the rivers and streams on any given day of the year (which can be done semi-easily in Google Sheets, which is my preferred program), so in order to have that happen I first need to get which cardinal direction each of the slopes above 500' is facing (as that affects the daily average temperature), then place the climates, biomes, ecoregions, and tree cover. Once all that's done, then I can start getting together the drainage basin size in acres, base width/depth in feet, and base velocity for each of the little tiny streams present on the map (still need to do some cleanup in that regard as I'm not interest in calculating anything under 25 pixels in length, which is 1 mile [might change that ratio as 211.2 feet per pixel isn't a whole number and kinda irritates me slightly, which isn't a great sign as I need the ratio to be perfect]), which will then feed the larger rivers and streams and it'll essentially automate itself and I no longer have to worry about it too much and can simply just look at the spreadsheet to see which places are flooding or not. Even if it doesn't sound like it it's pretty simple, honestly, just a tad labor-intensive.

I was playing around a bit with my maps and ended up making a satellite-style landscape. I'm not entirely happy with it, but for now I think it's good enough. Will probably tweak with it later. I needed to shrink it down to under half the size because apparently the full file is over 60 mb??? Not sure what's causing that.

Attachment 137405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sat Height Map (Small).png 
Views:	11 
Size:	9.11 MB 
ID:	137406