Thread: Unnamed doodle

Map Unnamed doodle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_doodle.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	133556
    As the Title says, don't expect anything incredible. It's also my first map.
    I would still like some critique, though.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It's fantastic for a first map. Surely a hell of a lot better than mine was... For critiques, the thing that really jumped out at me is your river formation. I'm assuming those three bodies of water are lakes, and if so, you've got what seem to be two exit rivers on the lower and middle lakes. Generally, lakes can have multiple feeder or 'entrance' rivers, but only one exit river. This is because water always seeks the lowest and easiest terrain to flow towards, flowing from higher elevations to lower. If there are two exit rivers from a lake, either through flooding or some other natural event, or from a man-made cause, eventually one of those rivers will dry up as the water diverts to the 'easier' path.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

As Diamond said, this is a great first map! Some of mine were iffy at best . I think you nailed the layout for the map though and I like the mountain style.

Following with critique, as Diamond said, depending on how realistic you want the map to be (and there are soooo many fantasy 'excuses' so dont feel limited to reality), the rivers could be repositioned. This thread has a lot on how to realistically place rivers if you are interested.

Excellent first map though and welcome to the guild!

Praise

Thanks for all the feedback! I love how friendly this community is!