Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you world build? And if so would you mind sharing about your world?

I have a really young world I made for my 2 year long campaign that just ended a month ago. It just experienced it's first world war.

The world is made up of horizontally ever growing "planes" which are loosely defined as concentrated energy. That energy interacts with other things to creat matter that builds the world. (Ex the water plane interacting with the ground plane makes a lake). The campaign is set in the center where all the planes interact with each other and create a world similar to ours/general fantasy setting.

The fun part about the map is that because everything is growing outwards and centered on where all the planes meet, it's in polar coordinates instead of Cartesian.

I have a small world building blog on Tumblr (tales of Cerano) if you like little world tidbits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tumblr_l_375914609970869.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	133712

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really neat map! And the projection difference is also cool.

Oh, I'm sure everyone here has plenty of world-building to show off!

I created one world where, instead of elves, orcs, etc. the different people are based on divisions of the animal kingdom. So you have humans (representing mammals), a reptilian people, a bird-like people, and so on. Here's the map and a bit of backstory about the lizardfolk, my most developed of the three including their own constructed language: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=48972

More recently, I've been building a galaxy! I created the overarching theme (playing with the trope of a disappeared ancient civilization leaving tons of mysterious artifacts for the current civilizations to find and reverse-engineer) and general characters for each of the major nations. Then, as I created maps of each nation/region, I filled it out with species and planet names. I'm now writing a novel set in this galaxy, and I'm creating more details as I need them. I posted all the maps to the Guild here, and linked through to my own web site for GM resources after a few people told me they were playing or wanted to play with the maps as a guide: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=50420

Holy, sounds like you've been busy! But all in all it sounds very cool!
    World builder and Cartographer
    Soturi, my world

The world I've been working on, Terocia, is set up to be a post-human world.

Basically, when humans were around it was a low-fantasy setting. They grew technologically advanced and comfortable, drilling for the source of a magical energy that served as the main fuel for their technology in a manner similar to oil. They wound up shattering the magisphere, causing it to break up and have its own counterparts to tectonic plates and faultlines, and unleashed all the contained magic into the world. It didn't cause a lot of damage, but suddenly things that used to require technology could be done at the snap of a finger. Humans gradually stopped learning how to use tech, and before they knew it a few generations had passed and now nobody knew how to maintain some of the more advanced things that civilization relied on, causing a collapse of civilization as these devices failed due to lack of upkeep.

With magic in the world, evolution had a kick start, causing a huge increase in biodiversity as all kinds of plants and animals adapted the sudden presence of magic in different ways. Humans themselves evolved as well, and the 8 races all trace themselves to the ancient humans, who are this world's progenitor race. It's been 8-10 thousand years since humans unleashed magic in the world, and much has changed since then. With the high-magic nature of the setting now changing the direction of technological evolution, the world has reached a roughly early-victorian era level of development with the new direction of technology.

I've only just started converting notes into player-visible materials, but here's the Campaign Handbook for players in my game: https://sites.google.com/view/the-do...ign-sourcebook

I have some very early rough draft maps that will also represent PCs' geographic world knowledge but they're nowhere near ready for public consumption.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12