Thread: The Lands of Hyboria

Map The Lands of Hyboria

So, this is my fan map of Conan's Hyboria. I was kept honest on the geography based on Howard's writing by Jk Hep and David Thomas.
    I hope you like it.

The map itself is done using ArtRage Vitae, Photoshop, and Affinity Designer.

ArtRage Vitae
    The outline and colour work for the sea and landmass is done here. The mountains are created using tesxture brush built up in a series of bevelled layers. The forest use a lichen brush which also has a slight bevelled effect. General colour texturing to the grassland, ice/snow and desert areas.

Photoshop
    The ArtRage layers are pulled into Photoshop as follows:
    1) Sea and sea textures,
    2) Landmass and its mountains,
    3) Forests.
    I created an action that creates all the sea countours around the landmass edges. A bit of oultine and bevel on the landmass.
    Then I added textures and adjusted colours. Export as image.

Affinity Designer
    All the labelling and boundaries are added in AD. It's so much more user-friendly than Photoshop.

That's pretty much it.
    Thanks, Glynn

HiRes versions of maps with alternative versions here (no borders, no labels): https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asryxq7YIiBZiOYQ...zDu5A?e=xAjQOD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Lands of Hyboria r4 LoRes.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	5.49 MB 
ID:	133778

Neat, thanks for sharing! Someday I'll get around to running a game set in Hyboria...

Not a major critique, but regarding the name. Because I had considered doing a map of the Conan World at one time, I too called it the Land of Hyboria, but was corrected by some Conan afficionados. The land isn't called Hyboria, technically, it's the Earth during the Hyborian Age (a time epoch). It's supposed be be Earth before the Flood, or right after it.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Cheers, Baron

Good point, Gamerprinter. I'm not too worried about the title as I've always called it Hyboria and I guess everyone knows what it means . To be fair, it also doesn't include the eastern lands either.
    I was initially replicating the Modiphius Conan 2D20 map, and simply called it The Lands Undreamt, which also has a nice ring to it.
    Last edited by MonkeyBlood Design; 06-25-2022 at 06:57 AM.