Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi City Map as 3D/Vector mapping project

Default Sci-Fi City Map as 3D/Vector mapping project

It's been an age since I've posted a WIP thread here at the Guild. Usually it's impractical, since I generally map so quickly - often finishing a map the same day I started, why start a thread about a single day project? However, I am creating a 3D city map for a setting project that I will be publishing. I've used 3D in my maps for years, most often to create difficult to depict objects done in 2D, as map symbols within mostly a 2D vector created map with heavy use of bevels to simulate 3D. Sometime 3D details can get hidden by the other details and shadowing, so mapping in vector can be more precise for the sake of a map game aid, versus a pretty illustration only - that's my philosophy about it, anyway.

I've already posted the basic illustrations in my 3D thread in the General Discussion forum, but I'm replicating it here, as they were created as a part of the process.

This is supposed to be the capital city and religious center for the Delphi Clerisy, that have adherents across Colonial Space, but is centered at this star system colony - a religious colony. As a member state of the Confederation of Independent Colonies of Colonial Space (CICCS), they pay taxes, contribute into the trade between colonies, have representation at the Colonial government capital on Vespa, serve in the Colonial Navy and Marine Corps, but otherwise maintains it's own laws, choice of governance; is for the most part independent.

Originally refugees from old Earth forced to flee to the nearest 13 star systems with existing corporate colonies during a cataclysmic time limit to disaster by an awakened Earth. In that first half century of escaping Earth, humanity found themselves the nearly slave citizens under the control of the megacorps. The most desperate in the population sought escape from megacorp governance, by crowd funding colonial expeditions to the vast stars beyond what is called Corporate Space to the frontier known as Colonial Space. After a century, 36 independent colonies settled in Colonial Space. An alien incursion on one of the more distant colonies, forced it's neighbors to pool their resources and create a defense against the invasion and repulse the aliens. This formed the basis for an alliance of colonies that would become the CICCS. There are alien world members of the confederation.

Delphi II (Apollo) was settled by choice based on prophecy, according to the followers of the Delphine Path, as adherents call themselves. Rather than worship of Apollo, as in the ancient Greek original, they more praise Pythia, the greatest oracle of antiquity. The leaders of the Delphine are prophets. They aren't monotheistic, as their beliefs are more of a philosophy than a religion and welcome prophetic individuals from other cultures and species. The city was based on a standard pre-fab design chosen based on lower price, but full accommodations.

Software: I use Wings 3D, a free subdivisional surface 3D modeler, which is based on Nichimen Nendo, a Japanese software I'd used for 10 years before moving to Wings 3D. It's simple, capable, fast and free - all good reason to use it. While I am learning Blender on and off, it's very complex 3D software, however, I use primarily use Vue Creator at the moment ($20/mo. subscription), because it's fast, powerful and easy to use, with a stunning built in rendering engine. So it works for my immediate needs. I will move fully to Blender eventually, but still tackling it's learning curve.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pythia-topdown.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	133848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pythia.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	793.7 KB 
ID:	133849
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Question? Am I being lazy here? I don't represent the transit lines in photographic detail, rather in graphically symbolic detail.

These transit lines are ridden by tram/lift cars that are both "subway" cars and elevator lift cars on similar tracks going up and down. I've included a 3D rendering of a transit car.

The other levels will be "photographically" detailed...

GP

Name:	pythia-transit-lines.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	133866
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Not completed, but working on an underlevel for the Manufacturing Module. I've created ore grinders (in 3D), as well as cargo container shafts (in 3D), I placed a simulated track for the tram-lift cars to use, but haven't created the elevators connecting them yet. I plan to place a few more tracks in the interior space, and I plan to fill in the open space with more structures so that it's less open. About 50% complete, I think.

GP

Name:	industrial-mapping-wip.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	133869
    DrivethruRPG store

Calling the Manufacturing Module under level, done!

GP

Name:	manufacturing-under-level.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	133871
    DrivethruRPG store

I lied - this is the final for the Manufacturing Module under level. (I forgot to cut out interiors for the data centers adjacent the factories, and added some floor graphics for driving safety purposes).

Oh, I didn't really describe scale. The central Residential Module is 10,000 feet square, while this module is 10,000 x 5000 ft. It's big, but this is a city.

Edit: created a labeled version.

GP

Name:	manufacturing-under-level.jpg 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	133872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manufacturing-under-level-labeled.jpg 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	133873
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-07-2022 at 01:56 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Now I'm working on the under levels for the Residential Module (the far right block). I see this like typical urban streets, with the streets having an "outside appearance" despite being under a glass ceiling. Looking at that lower left quadrant (in a clockwise direction) a double deck mall, then anchor/box stores, then an office complex. In the lower right quadrant (so far), I have open street market stores, surrounded by box stores. I plan to include shipping storage areas in the lower left quadrant of the lower left quadrant...

You see the dashed lines. The quadrants in the lower half is entirely at street level, including the stores, and corner theater in the central structure. In the top left quadrant of the module, I plan to show middle level apartments, efficiency and small apartments for bulk of city population. The quadrant to the upper left I plan to show manorial wealthy apartment suites and upscale services (restaurants, etc.) Finally in the upper half and dome of the central structure, I plan to show the hydroponics lab at roof level.

That's my plan anyway... thus this is a work-in-progress level...

GP

Name:	residential-mod-street.jpg 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	133874
    DrivethruRPG store

My only suggestion or criticism at this point is to make sure to check for typos. I’m pretty sure you didn’t mean for it to be the “theocraticratic capital of the Delphi Clerisy…”

Yes, I've corrected that already. I was tired and about to got to bed when the render finished, I rush typed it and posted... I should have been more careful, or just posted after I got some sleep!
    DrivethruRPG store

Half done with the mapping of the Residential Module.

GP

Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	133884
    DrivethruRPG store

Finished the Residential Module, this morning...

Views:	27 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	133888
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast