Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarantia

Map Tarantia

Well, this is my third city map (if I'm counting well), picturing Tarantia, the great capital of Aquilonia in my own Ave Tenebrae setting (and for a good part inspired by R. Howard writings).
    I've tried a lot of new things on this one, notably roofs. Thanks to the guild, I've been able to correct/do a lot of those new things. It remains probably some mistakes or minor problems.
    Hope you like it anyway!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarantia G.jpg 
Views:	1160 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	72575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarantia D.jpg 
Views:	900 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	72576
    Last edited by Ilanthar; 04-09-2015 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Correcting the typos

This is really nice, a convincingly Roman feel. The roofs look great, and I can only imagine the amount of work involved. The subtle canvas texture is an especially nice touch, an emergent effect of the cobbles and roof-tiles.

I like the districts, and especially the inset map showing their outlines. But color-coding the roofs by district on the main map seems a little out of place with the more natural, almost photorealistic palette of the farm plots and surrounding woodlands. Stylistic preference, is all.

How did you decide on the placement of individual guilds, villas, palaces, etc.? I'd be very interested to know how you developed the layout, which clearly has a lot of thought involved.

Also, on your key to locations, please note #4, "City COuncil," and #27, "Gunder CHief's Villa."

Thanks a lot Sanderling, a city map is always a long run.

By Sanderling
    How did you decide on the placement of individual guilds, villas, palaces, etc.? I'd be very interested to know how you developed the layout, which clearly has a lot of thought involved.
    The city has its own story and development (I wrote a bit about it in the WIP). At first, it was only Tamar and the Citadel, then a bigger city with Adrius and part of other Wards. Finally, nowadays.
    A lot of Villas and Palaces are placed accordingly to their owner. For instance, the Great Palace of Ashurdan is owned by Tharkish nobles, and therefore, it's positionned in the north part of the city, close to the north road of Amillius (The Tarkish Empire being north of the Kingdom of Aquilonia).

Also, on your key to locations, please note #4, "City COuncil," and #27, "Gunder CHief's Villa
    Thanks for pointing those typos!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It was a joy watching this develop, and the finished product is outstanding. Nice job, Ilanthar!

I bow my head before this magnificent city-map Ilanthar! It's great to see your love for the little details behind every street corner. Can only agree with Diamond, that it was a real pleasure to see Tarantia grow day by day. Hmm, can't rep you atm ... well, next time
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 04-06-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Great job Ilanthar ! Can't rep you neither but well...

Thanks a lot guys ! I would never had thought to do so many new things on this, at start (and the reason I enjoyed too the WIP).
    I'll try to correct the typos quickly.

The wip was inspiring, the final job is massive, detailed and beatiful.
    A Great job.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Splitting it up is a very clever way to get around the MB cap for attachments. Great looking map, too.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Great map, well done!
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast