Thread: Translation Question What is a "bells and whistles" map?

Question Translation Question What is a "bells and whistles" map?

hi there as you can see i am from germany.
    Right now i got a commission question about a hand drawn map.
    Now my customer talks about a "bells and whistles" Map Stile.
    And here my english stops and i have no idea what there are talking about.
    Is there a example of a classic "Bells and whistles" map? So i got a idea of it.
    Thanks for your help!

Default Not sure, but hope this helps

Ok, so let me start off by stating that I have heard this term, but not used specifically for cartography. In English the term refers to all the unnecessary, but enhancing things added to an object. So you could say a truck with all the bells and whistles has all the premium features you have to pay for. Its not just the standard. So did your customer use it in this way? Did they say they wanted all the bells and whistles, or that the maps should have all the bells and whistles? If so, that might be what they are talking about. They just want the fancy stuff. If that's true, just ask for clarification on exactly what they want included. If they specifically meant a style, then I am not sure, and I apologize that I couldn't be of more help.

If it is still unclear perhaps there is a way to show what they said without exposing information you don't want to?

"All the bells and whistles." is an English idiom indicating that a product has all the extras and luxuries that can be included. Like if you were buying a car with all the bells and whistles it'd mean you bought a car with the biggest engine, the best suspension, leather seats, a/c etc. and probably it'd be a luxury brand. So I'm assuming your customer wants a map with a hand drawn border, individual icons a fancy rose etc. But other than that I really don't know, it's a very vague thing to ask for without specifics, because it's all depended upon style and expectations. If I were you I'd ask him to clarify.

Unless he actually meant a map with bells and whistles. Or a steampunk sort of style?

@Falconius Thanks! Your Explanation make sens thank you!
    No it would be a Fantasy Map. I Realy need to ask here more questions.

You're welcome!
    Last edited by Falconius; 07-25-2022 at 10:56 AM.

How about asking your client what does he mean by that?
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

A few suggestions you might consider:

Include a custom frame, compass rose, and set of icons for the map. Making all of these elements thematic to your subject could help.
    Use a font that's clear, but suggestive of the setting. For the fantasy maps I do, I'm fond of Kingthings Calligraphica, available at https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/k...-calligraphica
    Use color.
    If the map includes water, consider depicting bathymetry.