Thread: The Tower of the Noonday Sun

Default The Tower of the Noonday Sun

Hi Everyone

This map is part of a set that I've been working on for most of the year so far, the set includes 8 maps in total and will be coming to DrivethruRPG very soon as a map pack (I'll update this post when it becomes available). There is another thread where I talk a bit more about the overall project and show some work in progress shots here. I'll probably be posting a few more maps from this region over the next month or so.

Edit: The pack that this map appears in is now available and can be purchased on DrivethruRPG here.

This map itself shows the Tower of the Noonday Sun, an Elven city in the Broken Lands. This was a minor outpost of the old elven kingdom and it became the defacto capital after most of the kingdom was destroyed in the great calamity. I've intentionally left the nature of the calamity quite vague to allow dungeon masters to use the pack and create their own stories around the region.

The map is done using all physical materials as outlined below
    - A3, 200gsm watercolour paper
    - Dip pen with sepia Windsor & newton calligraphy ink
    - Pebeo studio watercolour paints

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tower_of_the_noonday_sun.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	6.45 MB 
ID:	133989
    Last edited by wminish; 08-01-2022 at 08:56 PM.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Wow wminish, astonishing work. Congrats

Guild Novice

This turned out fantastic! I appreciate all the small details in all of your maps. Are the images wrapped in the banner at the bottom reflecting a historical calamity and the city has since been rebuilt? I appreciate everything about this map.

Guild Member IllustratedPageBookDesign's Avatar

This is so cool! I love the giant statues.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenImmortal View Post
    This turned out fantastic! I appreciate all the small details in all of your maps. Are the images wrapped in the banner at the bottom reflecting a historical calamity and the city has since been rebuilt? I appreciate everything about this map.
    Thanks FallenImmortal, the images at the bottom do reflect a historic calamity. They represent the fact that the tower of the noonday sun was one of the only towers of the old kingdom to survive the calamity, I go into a bit more detail about the calamity and its effects in the map pack itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkin View Post
    Wow wminish, astonishing work. Congrats
    Quote Originally Posted by IllustratedPageBookDesign View Post
    This is so cool! I love the giant statues.
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

I also just wanted to pop back and say that the pack this map appears in is now available, I've updated the main thread to include a link to the DrivethruRPG page where it can be purchased.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

This is lovely! I really vibe with your art style. I'll have to check out your DMsguild when I finish my current campaign!!

A very fine piece indeed!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I really enjoy your illustrative style, very fairy tale .