Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** August / September 2022 Challenge: Passage of Time - With a Twist ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** August / September 2022 Challenge: Passage of Time - With a Twist ***

Sorry for the late start on the challenge, people. Since it IS a late start, we're going to do an extended-length one that will run to the end of September.

As an extra incentive, and a nice way to wrap up summer, there will also be an extra prize for this challenge: a $15 Amazon gift card. This is in addition to the fantabulous Golden Compass and the buckets of envy drool from your peers.

So for this challenge, we'll revisit an old challenge idea from 2018 and 2009, but this time with a twist. Your mission is to map the passage of time on an environment, but in a specific way - either from 'normal to ruin' or 'ruin to normal'. By this I mean you could show:

-- a castle or dwarven city at both its most magnificent and then in ruins

-- part of a galaxy after the collapse of an interstellar empire, and then after rebuilding begins and cultures are reaching out to each other

-- a region before some kind of apocalypse (natural or manmade) and then after. Or vice versa!

The challenge will run through Friday, September 30 and will close at roughly 8PM US East Coast time. Don't forget to do the usual; title your thread like so: August/September Challenge: << your title here >> Also don't forget to add this tag before all of your work in progress pictures (especially the last one!): ### Latest WIP ### There is a WIP button in the toolbar. If you have any questions or concerns, let me know.

Happy mapping!

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected NarramoreArt's Avatar

This seems like an interesting one, I'm glad you included the option for "from ruin to normal".
    If i give this a try I might have to bust out the tracing paper
    Find me online as @NarramoreArt
    I'm mostly on twitter but you can also find me on instagram or even facebook!
    You can also check out my website narramore.art

Yeah honestly, I hope a few people go with the ruin --> normal route. It could yield some interesting results.

Ah, but keep in mind, one creature's ruin might be another creature's normal, and vice versa.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

True, but that could be the theme of it: a ruined underground temple inhabited by oozes or goblins or something, that is then reworked by a band of dwarves into a town or outpost.

Not sure if I get the time to partecipate but ... the maps should be two or one combined with b4 and after?

However you want - it just has to somehow show time passed or passing, ruin/normal or normal/ruin. Hmm. Maybe a map set up like a side-scrolling video game where a free-floating tme portal is passing, leaving everything in its wake aged and ruined by a century or two?
    Last edited by Diamond; 08-19-2022 at 07:54 PM.

Ruination... Hmmm... I wonder what the senate chambers looked like 100 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Ruination... Hmmm... I wonder what the senate chambers looked like 100 years ago...
    In 1922? Probably full of hookers and booze.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    In 1922? Probably full of hookers and booze.
    That means that there would be an opportunity to use the exact same map twice, then!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast