Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duyin Aedess

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map Duyin Aedess

Hello guild!

Like many others, I haven't posted anything for a very long time...

I don't know if it's the global situation or just a slowdown in my life, but I've been having a hard time looking at my various projects and moving forward.

I did take advantage of the holidays to finish this map (with some excellent advice from Misty Bee... My thanks to her).

It's a personal project for which I'd love to have time to write a story I have in mind (I'll probably have to wait until at least retirement to put the first line on paper)

Made on Ipad with Procreate, finished on Photoshop on the computer.

Reviews and comments welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duyin Aedess.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	8.14 MB 
ID:	134241

Guild Novice

It's a beautiful map. The colors are lovely. I really like the little wave lines around the coasts.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

I'm on board with LunaIlena here, its wonderful! =)

You did ask for reviews, so I wanted to say something really small I noticed: First I thought the text-label for mountains were always straight, but then I noticed you didn't always keep it that way. I found, at least in my maps, sticking to one principle often works better for labelling. I'd try to give the straight labels at least a little bend; though I know how much work that can be. I'm also no English speaking native, so I also was wondering: Hermit Forest has capital letters on both words, whereas you use small letter on Moose hills (alongside many other places, even the abbreviations); is there something I can learn here or are these just a slip?

This is probably the one thing I'm nitpicking, there really isn't much to critique. It really is a great piece! Also: Repped! =)

Best wishes,
    --Steffen
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 09-04-2022 at 02:52 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I really like your island groups here! The border design is also cool.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaIlena View Post
    It's a beautiful map. The colors are lovely. I really like the little wave lines around the coasts.
    Thanks a lot for your kind words !
    I choose the colors fellowing the map "Wheel of time" by Dimension Door

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    I'm on board with LunaIlena here, its wonderful! =)

You did ask for reviews, so I wanted to say something really small I noticed: First I thought the text-label for mountains were always straight, but then I noticed you didn't always keep it that way. I found, at least in my maps, sticking to one principle often works better for labelling. I'd try to give the straight labels at least a little bend; though I know how much work that can be. I'm also no English speaking native, so I also was wondering: Hermit Forest has capital letters on both words, whereas you use small letter on Moose hills (alongside many other places, even the abbreviations); is there something I can learn here or are these just a slip?

This is probably the one thing I'm nitpicking, there really isn't much to critique. It really is a great piece! Also: Repped! =)

Best wishes,
    --Steffen
    Thanks a lot for your comments, Steffen !
    English is also not my native tongue, so the differences with capital letters are mistakes... It took me so long to do this map, that I forgot to check the work done in the previous session (that could have happened weeks before). I'll try to correct those...
    As for the bends for the moutains labels, I didn't fellow any rule. I did tried to keep them straight when I could, but I did bent them when I needed too... I'll try to give them all a bend.
    Thanks again for your advices... it's very precious to me to learn from the best !!!
    (and thanks a lot for the REP ! Always appreciated !)

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I really like your island groups here! The border design is also cool.
    Thanks a lot, Arimel... There are a lot of islands, indeed... And thanks for the kind words, I tried to draw that border myself (and frankly, it shows )

Yay! Another of my favorites makes a triumphant return to mapping. Always good to see a "familiar face" that's been gone for a while pop in with something new.

Dig the colors as well. My only suggestion might be to put a little bit of glow around some of the smaller red labels just to help them stand out a bit more. Other than that, fine work.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Nice map JO, as Greason Wolfe said, I would have added some bright contour to labels, other than that I really like the border and compass rose

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Yay! Another of my favorites makes a triumphant return to mapping. Always good to see a "familiar face" that's been gone for a while pop in with something new.

Dig the colors as well. My only suggestion might be to put a little bit of glow around some of the smaller red labels just to help them stand out a bit more. Other than that, fine work.
    Thanks a lot for your kind words, Greason !!!! means a lot !

I'll try to add some glow around the red labels (I'm not sure I'll succeed, some of them have been pixellised and are on the same layer... but that's a nice challenge !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast