Thread: Province of Serlia

Default Province of Serlia

Well, I was doing some worldbuilding yesterday and I must say, I've found myself down quite the rabbit hole.

Idea is there's a city placed in a mountainous shelter from the sea. Island chains create a bay of sorts, and a great river empties out into the bay in an estuary.

One of the islands is large, and is the setup of some sort of merchant guild/commercial zone trying to do some tax avoidance by placing itself away from the political center of the city

Trying to build a world in some magic-future esque setting. I want to reflect that in the eventual city. I'm thinking of maybe getting in some sort of city-scape. I want to figure out some sort of architecture for it.

Want to include some small treats like a lighthouse and a couple ships on the water.

Using a elevated downward perspective on this one which makes it look like a landscape drawing. I've been thinking about cities in 3 dimensions in my worldbuilding, so I want to try to occupy some vertical space or convey some kind of z directional information somehow in this.

I want color as well. So, I want to try to convert this to digital later. That will help fix any mistakes I make in sketching, or let me make any changes in vision.

And the final challenge: discipline to carry this out to the end. Let's see what I can do

Alright, here's my sketch, got a bunch of ideas on paper

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220907_220512.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	134252

Welcome to the challenge PeriphReal!! Excellent starter sketch! Looking forward to seeing this develop.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Serlia.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	7.97 MB 
ID:	134420

I just got my first touchpad. (woot). Been trying it out. This is maybe 20-30 hours of work since last update.

lots of work to be done still. The populous areas have been requiring a ton of detailing and time. I definitely had a vision that is a challenge for me.

Probably am going to work on putting more "harbor" in this map soon, since that's probably important
    Last edited by PeriphReal; 10-02-2022 at 09:30 PM.

Love the building/city sketches!

Well, some more progress. I think I hit a point where I'm at a good place to stop with a lot of the linework. Not enough time to put more detail in. I want to think about coloring, texturing, and some map details such as labels.

I love the parchment, but I can't get it to compromise with what I have right now. Usually I'd overlay, but overlay doesn't give me enough color saturation/darkness that I want.

I'm liking the darker colors. I'll probably try to tone down the whites and lights and make things moody.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Serliaprog2-min.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	4.28 MB 
ID:	134480

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected NarramoreArt's Avatar

Also loving the building sketches. and the darker colours give i a rather moody vibe
    Find me online as @NarramoreArt
    I'm mostly on twitter but you can also find me on instagram or even facebook!
    You can also check out my website narramore.art

Well, I'm just not good at deadlines I'll have to call it here.

Looking good!