Thread: experimenting with ISO buildings - feel free to tear it to shreds!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default experimenting with ISO buildings - feel free to tear it to shreds!

Hi all! So I recently decided to experiment with isometric buildings a bit (as a nice change of pace from my — also isometric — Cirtemosi world map. Note that "Cirtemosi" is just isometric spelled backwards!).

This is the first attempt at a quicky, and I need all the feedback I can get. Here's a 4-hour roadside temple in three versions: inking-only, basic shading and dropshading:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022.09.16 - roadside temple (1).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	134307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022.09.16 - roadside temple (2).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	274.2 KB 
ID:	134308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022.09.16 - roadside temple (3).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	271.4 KB 
ID:	134309

The idea is to get the message across with the minimum amount of frills. Do you think the map needs shading at all? (I think it does). And does it need the dropshading or is the very basic shading enough to make it easy to read and pleasant to look at?

Also, this is still a WIP, so I plan to add a bunch of extra little details to make it pop, but feel free to rip into me with whatever critique you might have. Don't hold back!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

All of them are are easy to read and <pleasant to look at>. I personally love dropshadows but than the ink only version is perfectly readable and doesnt look flat at all. It might change with the amount of details added, though.

Blog Entries

I like the middle one. The drop shadow is good but less necessary so if your going for the minimum then I think you need the basic shadowing. Since the building is iso then you are forced into looking at it from one direction so you can have fixed light direction.