Thread: the Fortress of Sagahra Bridge

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default the Fortress of Sagahra Bridge

Another isometric quickie I did in about six hours' time. The map depicts a fortress guarding a bridge, and how it was found after a horrible war. More info in the pic itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022.09.20 - Bridge fortress (4).jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	722.7 KB 
ID:	134326

Done in Photoshop with stylus on screen.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really really cool! I love the stonework details and how you have shown all of the broken elements of the bridge.

Did you possibly miss shading an element just under the arch on the middle bridge expanse? The little spur of rock there looks a bit off.

Nice work Caen, love the style and layout.
    I think you used two different spellings for Saghara/Sagahra? (Title and directional arrow)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Really really cool! I love the stonework details and how you have shown all of the broken elements of the bridge.

Did you possibly miss shading an element just under the arch on the middle bridge expanse? The little spur of rock there looks a bit off.
    Oh yes, that was intentional, but not very well executed. In an effort to keep shading strictly limited to surfaces faced squarely away from the light source (in the top left corner of the map), I decided to leave parts unshaded even if they should actually be in the drop shadow of other elements. The idea was that that should help discern the orientation of the different elements, which can be a bit tricky in an isometric map without shading to help you out, but if you feel it looks off, then it looks off!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Nice work Caen, love the style and layout.
    I think you used two different spellings for Saghara/Sagahra? (Title and directional arrow)
    Yikes I did! Well spotted. Now I won't be able to live with myself for the next few hours. What a silly mistake! Glad you like the map though, thanks for the kind words. Here's to hoping I'll learn to write my self-invented place names someday.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Clean and very efficient, as always !

I love this style of pseudo-3D maps. I know you called it a quickie, however I cannot fathom how you managed to achieve this in 6 hours. It's beautiful, and I especially love the little details you've put in (like the planks across broken sections, and the chipped doorways).