Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First attempt at Fantasy Mapping

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

SO bounced around different tutorials (which I am very grateful for) and learning alot. Still working through hills/mountains and forests but have moved on to include lakes and river/creeks. Here is where I am at now:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T8rNewBase1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	5.39 MB 
ID:	134727

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking pretty good. You may want to read up on how rivers form and flow - you've got a pretty good river violation in the southwestern area. It's very rare for a river to split like that. Water always seeks the lowest point, so eventually the other fork would dry up as all the water will go towards the lowest elevation. That's why lakes can have many rivers or streams flowing in, but 99% of the time there will be only one outflow river.

Thanks for the feedback. I still need to build a bump in that area that should better show why it split. I am also going back and adding it in to the Sea layer so the water colors are not so different and then adjust as needed with a paintbrush or eraser. Also found a couple more areas to add some water paths and bodies.

Overall I getting closer and closer to where I can send to the printer and let it sit for a while and let the stories drive any changes. Its been fun creating this with the different tutorials and then going back and taking shots on things to see if I could make them work.

Ok so I am at the point where my land and sea base map is finished enough. Next to put in the Points of Interest/Cities and Major Roads/Trails.

Name:	BaseMapA2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	4.81 MB 
ID:	134788

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looks much better with the water all one color. One thing you might consider is putting a slight bevel on the shorelines; as is, the land almost seems to be floating on the water. Maybe a dark brown-ish inner glow instead of the bevel. Or both.

So went back did a few more tweaks and added some locations (two with names). Have a few more things I want to work out and also would like the players to have a say in where roads may go or not go. Really happy with it as it stands and hope to actually start getting to use it after the new year.

Name:	BaseMapA3a.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	5.12 MB 
ID:	134871

Added some Major Roads and a few minor roads. Still thinking thru if I want a Grand Council or just a Major Kingdom; either way the Icon will remain as is now but name may change. Adventures begin in the small town of Woodridge and then everything else will named and expanded based on information from the players. So with that I think its best to let the map lay for a while as is.

Name:	Adapted Realm v1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	5.22 MB 
ID:	134879

Diamond is just trying to help you, Brother- your rivers are unrealistic. Which this is a fantasy map so if you just want to wave your hands and scream "Magic!", well, so be it. That's fair. But otherwise rivers do not split, they merge. At least on larger scales- on smaller scales, sure, there are such things as islands, braiding, and river deltas. But that's not what your map seems to show.

If ever water has two possible outlets then eventually one of them erodes more than the other, and all flow will go that way. The other channel dies. Exceptions are incredibly rare, and doomed to be very short-lived (on geologic timescales), yet you have three of them on one map.

This is a very common error for people new to the guild, so don't feel bad about it. The forum even has a "River Police" badge for people who help others with their rivers. But it really jumps out at us as an error.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12