Thread: [WIP] The Thousand Thrones of Gallinor (Critique Encouraged!)

Guild Novice

Wip [WIP] The Thousand Thrones of Gallinor (Critique Encouraged!)

Thousand Thrones of Gallinor!

Hey guys! This is my first post. I've actually been working on this map on and off for about six months. Gallinor is a dark fantasy, low-magic campaign setting for D&D 3.5. It is inspired by my homeland of Kazakhstan, and is my exploration of a non-european fantasy. Inspirations include the “mythic” silk road, Vedic India, the Ottoman Empire, Arabian Nights, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

I have been heavily inspired by this forum. You guys rock! So I thought I could give back to the community by posting my WIP map. It's been mostly hand-drawn on my iPad Pro with labels and shi added through photoshop. I am really looking for some good ideas and criticism. What's been giving me trouble is borders and colors. I have messed around with coloring the map but nothing solid yet. But it's certainly something in the works. I'm not artistic at all lol and drawing forests scares me. I have been messing around with textures and colors in the sidebars so anything that could help with that would be appreciated. Anyway, here you go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gallinor 1.5 smaller wip@0.75x.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	7.62 MB 
ID:	134394

I like it so far. And nice font choice. I don't understand the different font darkness choices though. They seem to be randomly applied.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Your naming conventions are ON POINT!! I love the imagination on display. Also, what is that font?

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Your naming conventions are ON POINT!! I love the imagination on display. Also, what is that font?
    Oh my god! You have no idea how excited I am to hear that! I've been following your maps religiously for like six months! thank you! That means so much! Since my map is for my D&D campaign, my design philosophy is to make the map an adventure hook in and of itself. I love showing my players the map and they're all pointing out cool places and saying "we should go there!".

The font for the map text is Ragged MF and the font for the sidebar information is Kallamar

Guild Novice

Default Update #1

Sorry for the long delay! I've been really busy with school stuff, and my D&D party has been staying in mostly one city, so there hasn't been any impetus to update it. I'm still working on faction flags, and those take the most time. I'm still not sure about this parchment texture, and I'm struggling to make it look more natural. Right now it kind of just looks like black text layered over textures on the sides. Doesn't really look like it's 'inked on the page' so to speak. Any tips?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gallinor 1.6 at 60%.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	7.41 MB 
ID:	134717