Thread: Continental Map for a high fantasy setting

Default Continental Map for a high fantasy setting

Project Scope:
    The setting is a for a discord server. At present, it is used as a framing device for the server, and works akin to Pixiv Fantasia where our artists and writers can use it as a way to be creative. We have plans to expand this to having an RP, and are working to create a homebrew D&D supplement for a server campaign. We do not have plans for this to be used commercially.

Setting:
    The setting is a world called Terocia, a formerly-low magic world that had it's magic unleashed in the distant past, causing it to evolve into an extremely high-magic fantasy world since then. This has caused a lot of changes in terms of biodiversity, biomes, and in some places, geography. The map itself is for one of the continents, Palamaruta. The size of the world is earthlike, it has an earth-like distance from the sun, number of moons, angle speed and direction of rotation, etc. Thus, standard earth-based rules for biome placement follow unless there is a specific magic-based exception.

Description of Maps:
    Palamaruta is roughly the squarefootage of europe. It ranges from 15°N to 60°N in Lattitude, and should be connected to at least one other continent in similar way to how Europe, Asia, Africa, and India are connected. Projection should be Azimuthal with Palamaruta at the center in order to minimize distortion of the shape of the landmass, but cut off outside the scope of the map similar to how classical maps of europe and other fantasy maps are done. There are 8 countries on this continent. 7 are continental, 1 is an island nation. 2 Nations have magical shenanigans causing them to not follow standard rules of biome layout. The smallest continental nation should be roughly the size France or Spain in terms of squarefootage. More details on the nations will be provided via DM, Discord, or Email based on the preference of the cartographer.

The map should have a balance of traditional looking cartography, a geological map, and political map. What I have in mind is a geological map with fantasy/traditional styled representation of geological features, with coloration based on political boundaries. We do not have a specific shape of the continent in mind, and would be relying on the cartographer to design a shape and layout that fits the needs of the countries within the map.

Quality & Size:
    Required for Web
    8000x6000px or 6000x8000px, depending on orientation. Dimensions can be adjusted to fit with needs of the shape of the continent.
    Size is not for fine detail, but ease of scalability and cutting specific countries for used in country-specific write ups and descriptions.
    PNG file type is preferred

Deadline:
    Map should be completed by December 20th.

Payment:
    Payment to be negotiated - as I do not have a clear understanding of what constitutes fair pricing, I will ask that the mapmaker detail what the pricing would be based on the expected level of detail and complexity in combination with the time crunch caused by the due date. Current expectations range from $200-400, but the cartographer themselves would have a better grasp on what the proper amount should be.

Due to bad actors in the past with commissions, I will not do upfront payments, and as such I offer two options for paying the artist, with the artist's choice as to how often they wish to receive payments. Payment can be in either 2 installments or 4 installments, depending on what the mapmaker prefers. See Design process for payment installment timings. Can pay via Kofi or Paypal - Kofi is preferred as it bypasses Paypal's additional charge, allowing me to be more flexible with how much I can pay.

Design Process:
    Stage 1 – Basic layout of countries within the continent, verifying basic climate rules are followed. If 4 Stage Payment plan, first payment is made.
    Stage 2 – Shape and outline of map finalized, counts as a "final sketch" of sorts. If 4 stage payment plan,
    Stage 3 – Basic coloration is applied and verified. If 4 stage payment plan, third payment is made.
    Stage 4 – All shading and detailing is completed, full sized version unwatermarked withheld until final payment has been made. If 4 stage payment plan, fourth payment is made. If 2 stage payment plan, second payment is made

Copyright:
    Remains with cartographer.
    If in the future the commissioner wishes to make a commercial release, commissioner is required to renegotiate prices with the cartographer.

Contact me via DM. I can provide my Email and/or Discord from there based on the preferences of the cartographer. Additional details on the nations will be provided as we negotiate prices.

Special Note:
    We are looking for someone who can help us figure out where each country would need to go in relation to one another. We are trying to follow some logical layouts based on scientific principles, so countries we gave arid climates to would need to go in a place logical for a hot arid climate would go.

We do not have a set shape or layout in mind, as we are looking for a mapmaker would would have a better head for where things would need to go given the biomes we gave each of the countries and provide a logical layout for the continent to be.
    Last edited by LaylaAlder; 10-06-2022 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Cartographer acquired

Hello!

My name is Vadim and I'm a fantasy cartographer from Saint-Petersburg.

You can see my portfolio here - https://www.artstation.com/vb_maps and here - https://www.instagram.com/vb.maps/
    You can contact me at vdm.bulgakov@gmail.com

I would love to help you to bring your world and city to life! Thank you in advance

Looks like this job has opened back up.

To clarify, the group I am with took a nation-first approach with worldbuilding, and as part of the mapmaking process we need assistance in figuring out how these nations would be arrayed in relation to one another, and what shape that would need to take.

We are not willing to just slap something together arbitrarily, and are hoping to follow at least some basic logical rules to how things are laid out. As such, we are looking for cartographers with a bit of worldbuilding experience who are willing to help some writers figure out the layout of their map before proceeding with the full map.

Additionally, my main point of reference for understanding worldbuiding rules is Artifexian on youtube - familiarity with his work would make for a much easier time in regards to communication due to mutual point of reference.
    Last edited by LaylaAlder; 10-06-2022 at 07:57 PM.
    Project leader and worldbuilder for the Terocia project.