Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gossos

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default Gossos

I've been working on this off and on all year, and finally got it to a point where I'm done working on it, even though it may not be completely finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gossos.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	4.91 MB 
ID:	134470  

Nice! plain and clean, I love you choices of names! my only critique is the border.. too big and bright for the map, also the font of the title has the "S" bigger than the other letters, maybe try enlarge the G to compensate?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I really like the colors that you have chosen here. The muted tones really work well together.

I concur. Another fine piece, Mr. D. Fine indeed.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Nice One. Really like the shape of the map, all the seas, creeks and the concept of inner sea. Lot of potential for a rpg.
    To me :
    - the title doesn't blend very well with the style of the map. There is some glowing on it as the map
    - the bordure is too wide
    - the yellow names are too flashy compared to the others
    - The map lack some contrast. Maybe some snow or variations of green.

That's my feeling but I'm far from being an expert.
    Good job anyway.

Yum, yum, a Diamond map ! Great one, I love the color palette and the general look (excellent mountains!).

Very cool to have some Diamond maps again. I still remember the days when we got lots of D maps and i was always gushing about them ...
    And it is no different this time. As always i really like the elements you used (especially your mountains) and the composition of the landshape is top notch as usual!

I am a bit disappointed, that you seem to have forgotten ... don't you remember all the questions I was asking back when you posted your other maps....?!
    With a bit more seriousness: I am definitely interested in the lore behind this region, if there is any.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thanks for the comments and the rep.

I hear you about the border. My kneejerk reaction was "Nuh-UH! It looks fine like it is!" But after stepping back and looking at it again, yeah, the style doesn't really blend as well with the map as I thought it did. I'll try something different. The title is a placeholder and is kinda meh.

I do like the color scheme of the map itself, the names and whatnot, so I won't be changing that. It could use some variation in climate somehow - putting some snow on the peaks is a good suggestion.

Eilathen: Oh, I haven't forgotten. Broadly, think of this as a post-Empire period of rebuilding. The Empire in this case was an Elven one, centered where the Desolation is. They dominated humankind for thousands of years, but were wiped out by plagues and magic unleashed by their human slaves. This had unintended consequences, opening rifts to some dark Chthulhu-ian dimension that still give birth to monsters and cults now and then. The remnants of the elves fled into the north where they slowly died out (or did they?).

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I've been working on this off and on all year, and finally got it to a point where I'm done working on it, even though it may not be completely finished.
    Just sitting here, drinking in this map. And what a tasty cartographic morsel it is!

Very colorful, yet very subdued. It's just a big old piece of lovely. My eyes dance all about it, yet never tire of what they see. So much talent on display, here.

This map seeks to seduce the eye. It calls. It beckons. It whispers in my mind's ear. And the choice of fonts for the place labels is so alluring, so utterly enticing.

Of the map, itself, what can one really complain? A range of colors. Precision at every turn. My God, this pleases me.

But what of that which lies beyond the map? This canvas exceeds the visual tithe that this map has wrought. But to what end? Such is visual insanity, and my eyes feel banished there. Surely, this artistic heresy shall not win the day? Forbid it, I say! I pray that it is not so.

Pah!

For here, a true master has tread, and has erected a visual monument to his skill, a visual temple to his talent. But all of this fine visual nectar rouses me, insisting that I crave more. Egad! Hearken unto me, Diamond of this cartographic diamond. For why has this masterpiece-in-waiting been shorn of its ornamental inheritance that is its by right? Will you not crown it with that which it cries out for? Can you not hear its screams? Will you not correct this grave visual injustice?

It is said that Virginia is for lovers. Thus, I beseech thee to bestow love anew upon this cartographic gem. Stay not thine hand, but unleash upon it a fresh round of artistic caresses, that the true and unerring interests of visual and cartographic justice may be served.

Seize the moment, for thy artistic greatness and this map deserve nothing less!
    Last edited by GrimFinger; 05-13-2023 at 11:49 PM.

You crack me up, Grim. I started laughing before I even read the post once I saw who had posted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast