Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gossos

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    You crack me up, Grim. I started laughing before I even read the post once I saw who had posted.
    Well, I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I took a number of years off from the site, as far as commenting on the cartographic wonders that get posted, here, and I recently developed a new itch to crawl the walls of this place. Hopefully, I haven't overstayed my welcome, already, Diamond.

So, tell me, if you will - are you finished with this particular map? The reason why I asked is because I recently came across a map (I think that it was here, somewhere) that also contained a sizeable amount of space on the canvas that lies beyond the edge of the map's border, and I think that, while similar in that regard, it yielded a better end product, where that particular space is concerned. I don't remember what the name of it was, though, as I was browsing at random, just clicking here and there in a somewhat haphazard manner.

Beautiful map, Diamond!

Quote Originally Posted by GrimFinger View Post
    ... The reason why I asked is because I recently came across a map (I think that it was here, somewhere) that also contained a sizeable amount of space on the canvas that lies beyond the edge of the map's border, and I think that, while similar in that regard, it yielded a better end product, where that particular space is concerned. I don't remember what the name of it was, though, as I was browsing at random, just clicking here and there in a somewhat haphazard manner.
    Was it by chance the Bannarith Empire? https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post362026

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Was it by chance the Bannarith Empire? https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post362026
    No. It was by a different artist, and it had large castles on it, especially on the left-hand side. It was also by a different artist, if memory serves me correctly. I thought about the outer edge of Diamond's Gossos map, when I saw it.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very nice map, there is a very nice atmosphere and a beautiful coastline... A great job!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thank you, guys!

@ Grim: I may go back and work on it some more, but I'm kind of sick of looking at it for the moment. Chashio's comment about Bannarith made me want to actually work on the Iron Cities close-up map for that one that I teased so long ago, though.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Thank you, guys!

@ Grim: I may go back and work on it some more, but I'm kind of sick of looking at it for the moment. Chashio's comment about Bannarith made me want to actually work on the Iron Cities close-up map for that one that I teased so long ago, though.
    Understood - and I don't blame you, if you're sick of looking at it, for the time being.

While browsing, this morning, I came across the following posting by yourself, where you used the same (or a very similar) border:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post303123

Just curious what drew you back to that border style for this map, if you remember.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

No. It was by a different artist, and it had large castles on it, especially on the left-hand side. It was also by a different artist, if memory serves me correctly. I thought about the outer edge of Diamond's Gossos map, when I saw it.
    Hey, Diamond, I managed to track down the map that I was referring to. It can be found here:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...251Theer's a lot of space around the map in it, also, but the wholesale lack of straight edges to mark the outer visual boundaries of the map causes the eye's focus to scatter more. The assorted angles help to break down, visually, what would otherwise be large rectangular chunks. It softens the eye's scrutiny of the external space that is part of the overall visual canvas, but which lies beyond the exterior edge of the map and the map's border, itself.

When I was viewing the map Arlys, Lands of the Lady, it brought your own map, Gossos, to mind. I couldn't find it, when I was looking for it, but when I wasn't looking for it, it found me (again). Go figure!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Just curious what drew you back to that border style for this map, if you remember.
    I struggle with coming up with attractive outer borders. This was one of only a very few I've done that I really liked, so when I saw a change to re-use it, well why the heck not?

Chashio's comment about Bannarith made me want to actually work on the Iron Cities close-up map for that one that I teased so long ago, though.
    Yes, please

Every new map from you is welcome, but some of the projects you wanted to do/continue/make detailed maps for in the past sounded very nice as well...and the Bannarith map i remember fondly*, so ... yes, please

* yes, inspite of the mountain-style used...
    Last edited by Eilathen; 05-18-2023 at 12:06 PM.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast