Thread: I would like your input/help...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Default I would like your input/help...

So I started working on this map as the size it is England+Italy, but the more I develop it, the more I think it could make an excellent Australia sized continent to set a fantasy campaign in.

Here's the thing... I suck at knowing where things like deserts go, etc...

So can you fine folks assist me and make some suggestions? I don't mind if you draw on the map itself to show me things, but just some ideas. ALL the biomes are mostly changeable as needed.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: This map was inspired by the one on this reddit post. No claim of ownership or challenge to the original creation is intended, just merely inspired by a fantastic piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concept-map.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	134500  

If you think of a continent as a ship sailing into wind, the forests will tend to crowd around the leading edge and along the mountains on the leading side, deserts or prairies will tend to occur behind the mountains or anywhere else that receives no "wind". I think with the size you describe you don't have to worry about other "winds". Large inland areas behind mountains for instance will likely turn into deserts.

Guild Novice

I have no helpful suggestions, I just wanted to say I really like your map.

Deserts tend to form on west coasts between 15 and 30 degrees (both north and south). They can spread inland pretty far, but tend to be "stopped" by mountain ranges. The Sahara is a great real-world exception, spreading all the way across the continent and into Arabia before being "stopped" by the highlands of Iran, since there are no huge mountain ranges in the way. They can also propagate into the center of continents if for example mountain ranges form a rainshadow- e.g. the Gobi- of if there is too much continent to the east and rains can't propagate that far from the east coast.